Chapter 74: Night Raid on Zhang Yi's Home

Uncle You returned home with Xie Limei and the child. After closing the door, he expressed his displeasure, "What kind of words were those? How could you ask someone to take care of our child? In such chaotic times, we don't even know if people are human or ghosts. If he can provide medicine for the child, it means he's a trustworthy person."

"Why do you still push your luck?"

Xie Limei sat on the bed, holding the child. While feeding the medicine, she unbuttoned her shirt, using breast milk to help the child swallow the medicine. She didn't argue with Uncle You but spoke with a gentle tone, "It's all for the sake of our child. You know, she's the only motivation for me to live now. If something happens to her, what meaning is there for me to live?"

Tears fell again as she spoke.

Uncle You turned to look at her snowy white bosom, feeling a bit soft and somewhat firm. His tone softened, "Hey, I understand your intentions. But in life, you should at least know how to repay kindness."

Thinking about how Zhang Yi had helped him a lot, Uncle You exclaimed, "Without Zhang Yi, I wouldn't have thought of preparing supplies in advance, and I might not have survived until now! I must find a way to repay this great favor!"

At this moment, he heard a soft voice from Xie Limei, "Actually, I think you don't need to be so grateful to Zhang Yi. At least, he's still on guard against you, right?"

Uncle You was taken aback, "What are you talking about?"

Xie Limei, with a soft demeanor, continued, "Think about it. If he really trusted you, when we went over, he should have opened the door and let us in to sit. But the medicine was thrown out from the window without showing his face. Isn't he just suspicious of you?"

Uncle You was not pleased, "Don't talk nonsense! He is genuinely kind. Why twist his good intentions into something else?"

Unperturbed, Xie Limei continued in a soft voice, "I'm not talking nonsense. I feel like he helped you, but it didn't cost him much. Maybe he deliberately gave you small favors, hoping that one day you would be his henchman."

"If he were a good person, could he resort to such ruthless methods and kill dozens of neighbors?"

"Unless he's willing to let us live in his house, I won't believe he's a good person. Moreover, his house is big enough for the three of us. What's the problem?"

Before Xie Limei could continue, a stern shout rang in her ears.

"Enough!"

Uncle You's face turned red, and he looked at her angrily, startling Xie Limei. The baby in her arms also started crying loudly.

She quickly hugged the baby, saying softly, "I'm sorry, I was wrong. What I said earlier was for your own good. At a time like this, it's always right to be cautious!"

Uncle You coldly said, "Stop saying such things in the future! I, You Jiguang, can still distinguish right from wrong. If you doubt even your benefactor, then what kind of person am I?"

Uncle You was simple and honest, but simplicity was not equivalent to stupidity.

Yes, even if Zhang Yi had helped him for a reason, so what?

In this world, there was no such thing as unconditional kindness.

He had lived for over forty years, working as a security guard for more than a decade, witnessing the complexities of human relationships. How could he not understand this principle?

Xie Limei knew Uncle You was angry, knew not to push further, but it didn't mean she gave up instigating Uncle You.

The warm house of Zhang Yi was her long-awaited dream!

Xie Limei glanced at her eight-month-old baby, her determination growing in her heart.

"Baby, in order for us both to survive, I don't care about the cost!"

...

Night fell.

White moonlight spilled over the silver earth, carrying a touch of desolation and loneliness. Snow had been falling continuously for almost a month, sometimes heavier, sometimes lighter, but never stopping.

Due to habit, most people were still asleep at this time.

The entrance of Building 25, on the first floor, was completely blocked by tens of thousands of tons of accumulated snow. Suddenly, the snow at the entrance seemed to loosen, and a few ice chips fell to the ground. However, quickly, a large chunk of snow was pushed out forcefully.

A shovel appeared from the broken opening. Subsequently, the hole was getting larger as ten-odd people, dressed in heavy clothes and holding shovels, steel bars, and axes, emerged.

The leader was not tall, with a slender figure, sunken cheeks, and a pair of sharp, chilling eyes.

After entering the building, he lowered his voice, "Let's go, upstairs!"

The group of people cautiously held their tools, quietly climbing the stairs. Their formation was very neat, with someone at the front holding wooden boards and frying pans as shields.

When they reached the tenth floor, they coincidentally encountered residents who had sneaked downstairs to collect snow under the cover of night.

A strong and robust man, without saying a word, directly hit the man's head with a shovel.

"Spurt!"

Blood sprayed all over, and the person didn't even have time to scream before collapsing.

The burly man looked at the corpse on the ground and said to the skinny leader, "Second Uncle, what should we do?"

"Second Uncle" said, "Leave it here for now. We'll take care of it later and bring it back when we're done!"

The group of people obediently continued to climb upstairs.

Tonight, their target was Room 2401 on the 25th floor.

At this time, Zhang Yi was in deep sleep, and Zhou Keren was locked in the adjacent guest room. The intruders silently arrived on the 24th floor, where Zhang Yi's home was.

However, nobody rushed to break down the door.

The Second Uncle gestured for everyone to stop and called out quietly from behind, "Old Donkey, come here!"

Behind the group, a middle-aged man wearing a gray knitted hat walked over. He had a gray backpack on his back.

"Open the door!"

The Second Uncle pointed at Zhang Yi's door.

Old Donkey nodded, "Watch and learn!"

He approached Zhang Yi's door, put down his backpack, and quickly took out various tools from inside. Most notably, there were detonators and several rectangular objects wrapped in yellow tape.

After fumbling for a while, everyone hurriedly retreated into the hallway.

"Boom!"

A deafening sound echoed through the entire building!

Everyone who was still asleep was awakened. Zhang Yi was no exception. Because the explosion occurred right in front of his door, his ears were still ringing, and his eardrums were hurting.