Chapter 116: Teammates like Pigs

Li Jian and the other five building heads stared at each other, completely bewildered by Zhang Yi's unexpected proposal.

Planting crops?

Being farmers?

Was this a joke?

Huang Tianfang grumbled discontentedly, "Have you ever planted crops? In this cold weather, all the crops would freeze to death."

Zhang Yi replied, "Hey, don't be so quick to dismiss the idea! Back in Siberia, they vigorously promoted corn cultivation!"

"If you think corn won't work, I have other seeds here—potatoes, wheat. There's bound to be one that suits."

Li Jian and the others were utterly speechless.

"Zhang Yi, don't be ridiculous. Do you know how cold it is outside? Besides, it's all ice and snow. Where would you plant them?" Huang Tianfang objected.

However, Zhang Yi maintained a serious expression. "So what if it's cold? We've survived this long, haven't we?"

"We don't know how long this snow disaster will last. As you may have noticed, the higher-ups have all disappeared, prepared for a long period of hiding."

"This indicates that the apocalypse will continue for quite some time. If we don't start cultivating crops, our food will run out quickly. Then, we'll all be on the road to death."

"As for where to plant, that's an easy question."

Zhang Yi pointed outside, "Isn't there land out there? As long as we shovel away the snow, there's soil underneath!"

"To overcome the low temperature, we can try underground cultivation. Although it's a difficult process, we must attempt it."

"Only in this way can we maintain a complete ecological chain and ensure everyone survives in the apocalypse!"

Among the five people, Huang Tianfang and Li Jian seemed intrigued.

Huang Tianfang had experience as a farmer, making him proficient in agriculture. If farming became a solution to the food problem, he undoubtedly had an advantage over the urbanites in the community.

On the other hand, Li Jian thought about the numerous people in his unit. They were valuable labor resources, and if an agricultural model were to be developed, his influence in the community would increase.

Wang Qiang skeptically observed Zhang Yi. He, himself, couldn't plant crops, but as the leader of Building 21, he could certainly delegate the task to others.

Unexpectedly, Li Jian spoke up, "If we're going to embark on agriculture, we must provide enough food. In that case, three hundred portions are too few."

Zhang Yi's lips curled up in a slight smile, "But I need more than three hundred people!"

He spread his hands, "Alright, let's discuss my second condition in detail now."

"That is, each building needs to send people to cultivate farmland. I need to see the progress of your labor every day."

"After all, I work hard to find food, not to feed idle people!"

Zhang Yi looked at everyone, tapping his fingers lightly on the table. Others were mentally calculating their interests.

"These are my two conditions. If you agree, I promise to provide supplies for you. And for three hundred people, the quality of food will also be guaranteed. Furthermore, in the future, I'll provide cigarettes, alcohol, clothing, and even medical supplies!"

As soon as this statement came out, someone couldn't sit still.

Wang Qiang stood up abruptly and asked eagerly, "You can get cigarettes?!"

His eyes were filled with anticipation.

Huang Tianfang's lips trembled with excitement. "Do you have cigarettes? Quick, give me one to taste! I haven't smoked in half a month; I'm going crazy!"

These two were both heavy smokers. Going without cigarettes for more than half a month was even more unbearable than being killed.

The subsequent irritability was also related to withdrawal symptoms.

Zhang Yi smiled slightly, took out a packet of Liqun from his pocket, and tossed one to each of them.

The two men greedily stared at the cigarettes and hastily shoved them into their mouths.

"Fire, got a light?"

"Well, here, hurry up and light it!"

At this moment, Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang didn't care about their roles anymore. They ran to the side, hands shaking, to light their cigarettes.

Then they put them in their mouths and took a deep drag.

White smoke billowed out of their nostrils, and both of them had a dreamy expression on their faces.

They could skip meals, but not smoking; otherwise, they would really go insane.

Zhang Yi's smile on his face deepened.

"Now, my conditions are laid out. Do you agree?"

Chen Lingyu tightened her legs, focusing on her wet crotch, shivering from the cold but not daring to show it.

Zhang Yunfei, with his muscular physique and simple mind, was completely bewildered by Zhang Yi's farming proposal and didn't know how to respond.

Only Li Jian, who originally intended to negotiate and propose more conditions, was interrupted by Wang Qiang.

"As long as you can guarantee that I have cigarettes in the future, I can agree to these conditions!"

"But remember, at least two packs a day for me!"

Huang Tianfang also said, "Same conditions for me."

Zhang Yi said, "You can only get one pack a day at most. I can't find more."

Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang hurriedly agreed.

"Alright, agreed! One pack a day! You must bring it to us!"

Zhang Yi shrugged, "So, our negotiations today have reached a consensus, right?"

Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang weren't the brightest individuals. Moreover, cigarettes were highly addictive and could easily destroy a person's will.

As long as they could get cigarettes, they didn't care about anything else.

The benefits given by Zhang Yi were accepted without any objections.

Li Jian intended to argue based on reason and negotiate for more favorable conditions.

However, before he could speak, he was interrupted by Wang Qiang.

"As long as you can ensure I have cigarettes in the future, let's just go along with what he said! Don't waste time; I hate those who keep talking."

Huang Tianfang exhaled a smoke ring and said, "I think it's about right. Zhang Yi is giving us face, so we should understand his difficulties, right?"

Li Jian scowled, and in his heart, he cursed Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang a hundred times.

These two teammates were actually causing internal strife right in front of the enemy!