Chapter 103: Finding the Military Camp

In the midst of heavy wind and snow, the snowmobile couldn't speed too fast to avoid the risk of tipping over. Zhang Yi and Uncle You maintained a speed of around forty to fifty miles per hour, taking over two hours to reach the desolate northwest.

Once they left the urban buildings, they essentially lost any landmarks. The thick layer of snow, reaching over ten meters in height, covered almost everything on the ground. Before them lay a vast expanse of white, and Uncle You temporarily stopped the motorcycle on the side of the road to carefully observe the direction.

Pointing to a distant protruding white hill, he said, "Luckily, we still have this to guide us! We're not far now, about five kilometers away."

Zhang Yi nodded, filled with anticipation. The two soon arrived at the foot of the mountain, where sporadic structures were still visible on the snowy landscape.

Uncle You said, "We are close now. As for the exact location of the military camp... I need to confirm it again."

"Alright, let's look carefully," Zhang Yi said.

They parked the snowmobile on the side of the road and started searching for the military camp's location. Military camps usually didn't have tall buildings; the dormitories were typically two or three stories high for easy assembly during emergencies. Additionally, the vast area of the military camp increased the difficulty of the search.

After a while, Uncle You suddenly spotted a building not far away, and his eyes lit up.

"Found it!" he exclaimed.

"Found the location of the military camp?" Zhang Yi quickly looked over.

Uncle You shook his head but pointed to the golden sign on the building, saying, "Found a bathhouse!"

Zhang Yi's expression became speechless as he looked at Uncle You.

Uncle You chuckled, "Don't be impatient! As long as we find this place, I can confirm the direction of the military camp."

He explained to Zhang Yi that the bathhouse was owned by one of his comrades, and Uncle You would visit one or two times a year for catching up and spending money.

"Nèi Yǒu Qián Kūn Bathhouse... Kūn? Clever!" Zhang Yi applauded, recognizing the brilliance of the bathhouse owner.

Curious, he asked, "Is it profitable to open a bathhouse outside a military camp?"

Uncle You laughed, "Don't you understand this? It's better to open it here! Life in the military is extremely monotonous, and most soldiers don't have girlfriends. Young people have vigorous energy and need an outlet."

"Plus, they don't spend money in the military. Once their monthly supplies arrive, they need a place to spend, right?"

"And they are physically fit, aggressive, and don't cause trouble. So, bathhouses are especially popular among them."

Uncle You spoke convincingly. Sharing his experiences from the time he served in the military, his eyes sparkled with reminiscence.

Zhang Yi teased, "Aren't leaders in the military supposed to manage such things?"

Uncle You said, "Of course, such things are against discipline! But the leaders also understand that soldiers have needs, so they turn a blind eye."

Pointing to the 'Nèi Yǒu Qián Kūn' sign, Uncle You continued, "Anyway, as long as you see this, you know the general direction of the military camp."

Turning northward, Uncle You stood in the wind, carefully observing for a while before pointing to a distant location.

"There! Can you see that watchtower?"

Zhang Yi squinted and, amidst the snow and wind, finally spotted a small black dot.

"Saw it."

Uncle You said, "The military camp is located there."

Zhang Yi glanced at Uncle You, "But the military camp is not small. Just confirming its location, how do we find their arsenal?"

Uncle You explained, "Years ago, when I visited my old comrade, I went into the compound. I still remember the general location of the arsenal."

Zhang Yi quickly said, "Let's go, let's take a look!"

Once they knew the approximate location, next time he could bring an excavator to dig it open.

The two got on the snowmobile and rushed towards the designated area. Soon, Uncle You pointed out the general location.

"It's about here. Ah, it's a pity we came too late. Everything is covered in snow now!"

Uncle You looked a bit guilty.

"Sorry, Zhang Yi. Maybe you've made a wasted trip."

When he came, he had entertained fantasies that perhaps this place wasn't entirely buried. However, upon arriving, he realized how naive that thought was.

Zhang Yi carefully stared at the snowy ground in front of him, firmly memorizing the obvious landmarks in the vicinity, such as watchtowers and officer's offices that were not entirely covered.

After noting these, Zhang Yi smiled at Uncle You, "It's alright. You meant well. Maybe when the snow melts, we can come back."

Uncle You awkwardly smiled and nodded.

"Let's go, we should head back!"

After running around for half a day, it was getting late. The journey back would take another two to three hours, and they couldn't afford any further delay.

Uncle You sighed and hurriedly went to start the motorcycle.

......

In the community.

"Retreat, quickly!"

Li Chengbin led a group of neighbors, hastily retreating from the territory of the Wolf Gang at Building 21. This time, their losses were severe, with over a dozen people killed.

It turns out that fighting in hostile territory had a significant disadvantage. Despite their numerical advantage, the opponents were well-prepared, with many traps set up, making the battle unfavorable. However, they did manage to kill five or six enemies, which could be considered a decent achievement.

Due to the extremely cold weather, everyone was panting heavily towards the end of the battle. Continuing the assault upstairs was deemed unwise, prompting the decision to retreat.

On the way back, Li Chengbin calculated how much reward Zhang Yi would give him for this attack, feeling quite pleased.

However, some people were in a very low mood, their faces filled with dissatisfaction.

"I really don't know the meaning of this attack. We lost more than a dozen people for nothing!"

"Last time against the Tianhe Gang was the same, right? We lost more people than we killed. If we keep going like this, all of our people will be dead!"

"Was it just to vent for Zhang Yi? Just now, almost, almost, my head was about to be chopped off!"

"Zhang Yi told us to attack, but he ran away with Uncle You. Clearly, the two of them are the best fighters, but they hid in the back and refused to go up."

These voices of discontent came from several middle-aged men among the neighbors. They contributed the least but complained the most. Moreover, this time, facing the formidable Wolf Gang, some of them were injured, and a few almost died. Hence, they couldn't help but grumble about Zhang Yi.

Hearing these words, Li Chengbin furrowed his brows, scolding, "What are you talking about? Keep your mouth shut and don't speak nonsense! If it weren't for Zhang Yi bringing us food, many in our building would have starved to death. Can you afford to talk nonsense here?"