Chapter 125: Deathly Silence, Descent

The floor leaders from each unit came and orderly took back the distributed food. Zhang Yi also distributed food to the people in his unit, then returned home as usual.

The next day, except for Li Jian, the floor leaders from other units still didn't distribute any food to the ordinary residents. So, on this night, as they saw their last hope completely shattered, the residents of the community went completely mad!

The community became unusually lively. It was unclear when it started, but shouts and screams echoed from various units. Desperate curses and angry yells resounded in the corridors, not even drowned out by the northern winds.

The pitch-black night was their only cover. When these timid ordinary people were willing to throw away their lives, the rulers of each unit, wielding power, realized how mighty they were!

After all, not everyone was like Zhang Yi, possessing a perfect defensive fortress and terrifying firepower. In this era of cold weapons, numerical superiority would have a huge impact on the battle.

Zhang Yi sat on his warm and comfortable velvet white bed, quietly looking out the window. With the lights off, a peaceful silence inside contrasted sharply with the roaring wind, snow, and the chilling cries outside.

He didn't know the extent of the ongoing situation outside. However, he understood that the more people died tonight, the more advantageous it would be for him.

Before going to bed, Zhang Yi did a final check of the room's security, loaded the bullets into the pistol and assault rifle, and finally lay down comfortably.

...

The third day.

In the morning, Zhang Yi walked out of the unit, and the scene before him made him involuntarily gasp for breath. The once white snow-covered ground was now scattered with fresh red.

In the central courtyard, dozens of bodies lay scattered, haphazardly, in all directions! It seemed like they had been forced to jump from a height.

Some curled up in a ball before death, freezing to death in the cold snow despite not being killed by the fall.

Zhang Yi looked around at the neighboring units. Stagnant and blackened bloodstains adorned many windows. It was evident that a brutal battle had taken place last night!

So much so that on this morning, not a single person came out to shovel snow, and not even a single corpse was dragged away.

The residents of the 25 buildings stood at their doorways, each feeling a chill in their hearts, not daring to breathe. At this moment, they were extremely grateful that they followed Zhang Yi.

Otherwise, most of them would have faced the same fate now!

Uncle You came over and asked, "Zhang Yi, are we still working today?"

Zhang Yi looked at Uncle You and then at the neighbors behind him. He casually said, "If you want to have food in the future, you'll have to work!"

"Unless," he pointed to the bodies on the ground, "you want to end up like them."

A shiver ran through everyone.

Compared to these dead people, they were simply too fortunate! At least they didn't need to fight for scarce food or struggle desperately.

"Just yes, we'll work right away, right away!"

A group of neighbors, stimulated by this tragic scene, took their tools and started shoveling snow energetically.

Uncle You looked at the scene and asked Zhang Yi, "It seems like no one from other units has come out to shovel snow. Should we notify them?"

Zhang Yi glanced at him and suddenly asked with a smile, "Do you think they have time now?"

Uncle You was puzzled, "Huh?"

Zhang Yi said, "Yesterday night was just the beginning. The conflict occurred between the rulers of each unit and the ordinary residents. Unless they can solve the food distribution problem, one side must be completely annihilated!"

"Only one night has passed; how can they kill everyone?"

After hearing Zhang Yi's words, Uncle You felt a sudden chill all over his body. Could this be the "Two Peaches Kill Three Scholars" story?

"So what's next for us..."

Zhang Yi casually said, "It's none of our business. Let them kill each other slowly when the time comes!" He wasn't in a hurry.

In the afternoon, after Zhang Yi came back, he distributed food as usual. However, he found that some people from a few buildings had changed, not the familiar members of the group he knew before.

It seemed that in the struggle for food access, control of some units had changed hands. However, it didn't matter to him. Regardless of who the floor leader was, he would cooperate according to the previous agreement.

However, after returning home that night, Zhang Yi sent a message in the floor leaders' group.

"If I don't see the results of your labor tomorrow, I can't guarantee the food, including cigarettes."

So, the next day, when Zhang Yi went out, he saw everyone coming out collectively to work. However, compared to two days ago, the number had decreased by at least one-third!

In other words, due to the problem of unfair food distribution, at least 400 people had died in the community in two days!

Uncle You couldn't understand the scene in front of him. He asked Zhang Yi, "These people clearly know that they won't get a share of the ten portions of food from each building. So why don't they resist and fight for their chance to survive?"

Zhang Yi, with a hint of playfulness, suddenly smiled. He gestured to the snow-covered ground in front of him, "Do you remember how many bodies were here yesterday?"

Uncle You frowned slightly, "Just outside, there were seventy or eighty, and counting inside the units, there were at least several hundred!"

Zhang Yi spread his hands, "You see, the reason lies here! The food issue has been resolved very well."

Uncle You suddenly realized, "It can actually be done like this!"

Zhang Yi casually said, "As long as they have something to eat, they won't dare to fight desperately. The vast majority of ordinary people in China don't have the courage to resist unless pushed to a point where there's no way out."

Uncle You, puzzled, shook his head, "But this is not a long-term solution! What happens when the food is gone?"

Without hesitation, Zhang Yi said, "Then kill another wave!"

Uncle You swallowed a mouthful of saliva, unsure of what to say. Just at this moment, a woman wearing fur walked through the snow.

"Zhang Yi, I want to talk to you about cooperation."

The person who came was Chen Lingyu, the floor leader of Building 9. Her body was covered in bloodstains, indicating that she had also experienced a brutal massacre last night. However, she survived.

Zhang Yi smiled faintly, with a touch of disdain in his expression. "You? What can you talk to me about?"

Chen Lingyu stared into Zhang Yi's eyes, trying to apply her skills as a successful online businesswoman to him.

"The community is developing towards collapse! Internal contradictions are severe, and effective management is impossible. Even if you can bring back more food, someone will surely take more with superior force. This way, conflicts will be continually exacerbated, and more people will die!"

Zhang Yi looked at her with a light expression. "Oh. And then?"

Nonsense, could he not know that this would be the result? Because the current situation was created by him.