Chapter 169: Dare You Rob Me?

Riding a snowmobile, Zhang Yi and Zhou Haimei headed towards the Yue Lu Residential Area.
Driving along the riverbank, the frozen Lu River beneath the snow had a magnificent feeling. However, compared to the ground, there was noticeably less snow on the icy surface.Lu River connected to the East China Sea, and due to the large heat capacity of water, temperature changes were relatively slow. One could even see people fishing on the ice!Zhang Yi, observing the scenery, felt a rare sense of human activity. However, at this moment, a sudden alert flashed through his mind."People fishing? Have they... adapted to such extreme cold temperatures?"Zhang Yi found it somewhat unbelievable. In the one month of living in the Yue Lu Residential Area, he had witnessed the miserable lives of those people. Unexpectedly, in the Xu Jia Town across the Lu River, the villagers had already adapted to the low temperatures.Thinking about it, it wasn't surprising. Farmers worked the fields all year round, even in the coldest weather, they had to get up early to labor in the fields. Their adaptability to the environment far exceeded those in the city spoiled by air conditioning and heating."The adaptability of humans is truly terrifying!""If it were me, I wouldn't even know how to survive without heating in the room during winter."Zhang Yi exclaimed with such sentiments. However, before he could contemplate it further, a terrifying sound of dogs barking suddenly came from not far ahead on the ice.Zhou Haimei in front screamed, pointing to the river, "There are dogs!"Zhang Yi had already seen them.Seven or eight ferocious dogs were barking wildly while charging towards them. Behind them, they pulled two makeshift sleds, each with four people standing on them.Zhang Yi's gaze became more profound. He knew he had trouble again, not immediate trouble, but potential trouble in the future. Originally in his plan, city dwellers would quickly perish in the snow disaster, and he, along with a small number of people hiding in shelters, would survive until the end. However, he didn't expect that outside the city, in the villages, people had already begun to adapt to life under severe cold. These people would become potential threats, such as targeting his snowmobile."Hold on tight!"Zhang Yi twisted the throttle abruptly, accelerating the speed. He didn't want to conflict with these people, as provoking one person could lead to involving an entire village.Zhang Yi raced on, and on the river, the eight dogs were also chasing, tongues hanging out in excitement. After seeing Zhang Yi, their eyes turned red, and the wildness in their gaze sent shivers down the spine.Dogs were domesticated from wolves, and in the post-apocalyptic world, they had experienced many life-and-death battles, even resorting to cannibalism during hunger. Dogs that had tasted human flesh had bloodshot eyes and were extremely brutal.Zhang Yi's snowmobile was fast, but the sleds on the ice were not slow either. Since the villagers from Xu Dong Village had come early to intercept, Zhang Yi couldn't evade them. On the sleds, a fisherman raised his harpoon and threw it towards Zhang Yi!"Damn!"Zhang Yi cursed. If the harpoon hit his arm, at least half a kilogram of flesh would come off! He quickly turned the direction of the snowmobile, using an emergency brake to stop the vehicle in its tracks. Zhou Haimei, who hadn't secured herself, was thrown off and fell into the snow.This famous actress, scared out of her wits, cried loudly, lacking the courage even to crawl out of the snowy ground.At this moment, two sleds had blocked Zhang Yi's path. The eight sled dogs barked furiously towards Zhang Yi, the sound particularly chilling, especially with their bloodshot eyes and bloodstained mouths.A chill ran down Zhang Yi's spine. He wasn't afraid of people, but he was somewhat worried when facing these crazy dogs because people could feel fear, but dogs couldn't.Four people on the sleds, holding weapons, approached."Leave the bike and the woman and get lost!"One person with a machete shouted at Zhang Yi. He coldly watched them, memorizing the positions of each person and dog.Then, he quickly pulled out a pistol and aimed at those people."Brothers, make way! I don't want trouble, and you guys shouldn't come looking for death!"The dark barrel of the gun was evidently more intimidating than words. When those people saw the gun, they unconsciously took a step back.Zhang Yi pointed the gun to the side and said, "Can you make some room?"The four villagers from Xu Dong Village looked at each other. Despite some wariness, they didn't back down. Living to this day and daring to bring dogs out, which one of them was a good person? In order to compete for food, they had fought countless times with neighboring villages, showing great courage.A cocky young man asked, "Buddy, where did you get the bike and the gun?"Zhang Yi sneered, "Inherited."Several people holding dogs exchanged glances, seemingly discussing whether to retreat or not. However, when their eyes fell on the snowmobile and Zhou Haimei's face, a strong sense of greed reappeared.The snowmobile was currently the top transportation, much superior to dogs. As for women, they were also in great demand.Indulged in plenty, their minds were now filled with primitive desires after solving the food problem.The guy with a cocky demeanor, named Xu Xingwang, patted Zhang Yi's shoulder and said, "Buddy, this is our territory in Xu Dong Village! If you want to pass, you have to pay a toll."He pointed to the snowmobile and Zhou Haimei, saying, "Leave either the vehicle or the woman!"Zhang Yi didn't expect these people to be so audacious. Did they think the gun in his hand was just for show? He furrowed his brows, coldly asking, "Can't you see the gun in my hand?"The four people looked at each other. Although they were wary, they didn't retreat. Living to this day and daring to bring dogs, which one of them was innocent? In order to compete for food, they had fought countless times with neighboring villages, showing great courage.Another skinny guy wearing a felt hat pointed at Zhang Yi and cursed, "Who the hell are you scaring! The four of us, eight dogs, how many bullets do you have in your gun?""Leave the woman and the bike, and we might let you live! Otherwise, you can try!"Zhang Yi's gaze grew colder. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw people coming towards them on the river.The river here was less than a hundred meters wide, and across the river was Xu Jia Town. If their people rushed over, they would quickly surround Zhang Yi.By then, Zhang Yi could protect himself, but the crazy pack of dogs might tear Zhou Haimei to pieces.He took a deep breath. This is your doing!There was no need to talk any further. In Zhang Yi's left hand, a pistol slid out.Suddenly, he acted, firing two shots from each gun at the heads of the four people. They didn't even struggle; their heads exploded, and blood splattered on the ground.Without anyone holding them, the eight dogs rushed towards Zhang Yi and Zhou Haimei, barking furiously!