Chapter 56: Forceful Attack

Zhang Yi sat at home, calmly awaiting the arrival of the frenzied neighbors. His expression was serious, and a plethora of weapons lay in front of him. At this moment, he received a message from the gatekeeper, Uncle You.

"Little Zhang, you better run! They're coming for you armed."

A warmth filled Zhang Yi's heart. In this world, it was rare to find good people. He smiled and said, "Uncle You, don't worry. I can handle it." Uncle You fell silent for a moment, seemingly understanding that there was nowhere to run at this point. Resistance was the only option.

"Little Zhang, I hope you make it out alive. I'm sorry; this time, I might not be able to help you," Uncle You said remorsefully. He had indeed benefited from Zhang Yi's kindness. When Zhang Yi advised him to stock up on supplies, he had filled his home with instant noodles, sausages, and the like. His living standards were now decent, but seeing Zhang Yi about to be besieged by so many people left him helpless.

Zhang Yi casually replied, "By not joining them, you've already shown your kindness. Don't worry, I don't need you to be concerned here." Uncle You's choice was the most correct; coming to help Zhang Yi now would likely result in him being hacked to death by the mob.

After a brief chat with Uncle You, Zhang Yi remained cautious, refraining from revealing details about his home. Trusting completely, regardless of the person, was not an option!

Soon, Zhang Yi felt a slight tremor beneath his feet. The outside echoed with a rumbling sound.

"They're here," Zhang Yi said calmly. He knew that it was the sound of hundreds of people surging up the stairs. However, Zhang Yi lived on the 24th floor! With the elevator out, those people running up the stairs would undoubtedly be exhausted.

Of course, it wasn't just the people downstairs. Through the large screen showing the entire unit's surveillance, Zhang Yi saw his neighbors from 2402, carrying knives and wrenches, also joining the fray. The couple next door held a knife, the woman hiding behind the man, their eyes glowing green, enviously staring at Zhang Yi's door. Knowing that their neighbor had been living a paradise-like life for the past half month, they were undoubtedly consumed by jealousy.

The crowd continued to pour in, congesting the corridor outside Zhang Yi's door. Some held umbrellas overhead to guard against water being poured out by Zhang Yi. Before long, some couldn't resist rushing forward to pound on the door.

"Bang! Bang! Bang!"

"Zhang Yi, come out! If you don't want to die, this is your last chance!"

"Don't wait for us to break in; it'll be too late then!"

Through the surveillance, Zhang Yi didn't see Sun Zhichao and others; neither did he see Chen Zhenghao. These door-bashing actions confirmed that they hadn't informed these people about the actual situation inside Zhang Yi's home. In other words, their purpose was to let other neighbors serve as cannon fodder, enduring Zhang Yi's crossbow shots and high-voltage electrical attacks.

Zhang Yi didn't show any mercy. He had an abundance of energy sources; he wasn't lacking in electricity. The high-voltage button was directly engaged. The young man who had just angrily banged on the door was mercilessly bitten by the electric current, his face contorted in pain! The terrifying part was that, due to the crowded hallway, the entire corridor was electrified after he got shocked, affecting the group behind him!

"Ah!"

"It's high voltage; get away!"

Those behind, bitten by the electric current like being bitten by a tiger, hastily let go. If not for their layered clothing, they wouldn't have a chance to break free. Everyone experienced muscle spasms from the electric shock. The one who had just banged on the door and the seven or eight people beside him suffered the most; being unable to escape, they were directly burnt to a crisp.