Chapter 32: Sweet Talk and Hard Bargaining

Through a video call, Fang Yuqing and Lin Caining got a glimpse of Zhang Yiru's current lifestyle. The pleasant temperature and abundant food left them dumbfounded, as if they had stumbled upon paradise.

It was beyond their imagination that, ten days after the apocalypse, some people could still live so comfortably. Zhang Yiru casually asked, "How have you been lately? Congratulations on the weight loss!" Fang Yuqing and Lin Caining wanted to curse in their hearts. Lose weight? They were just starving!

Now, they dared only eat one pack of instant noodles a day; otherwise, their supplies would have run out long ago. Lin Caining stared greedily at the food in Zhang Yiru's house, licked her lips, and said, "Zhang Yiru, why do you have so much food at home? Did you hoard it from our last shopping trip?"

Zhang Yiru glanced at the kitchen and said indifferently, "Those are just some junk food. I eat them when I'm too lazy to cook. Normally, I hardly touch them." What he said was the absolute truth. In his dimensional space, delicious food piled up like mountains, ordered from various restaurants. Moreover, the Walmart warehouse contained billions of supplies, including tens of thousands of varieties of food.

His casual remark, however, was a blatant display of wealth to Fang Yuqing and Lin Caining. After all, a pack of instant noodles in their neighborhood was being sold for 2,000 yuan!

Zhang Yiru could clearly see their throats moving continuously, indicating their saliva-inducing desire. Yet, Zhang Yiru said nothing and simply enjoyed the sight of their longing eyes.

"Zhang Yiru, your house has so much food. That's amazing! Many people outside can't even find enough to eat!" Fang Yuqing exclaimed.

"Hehe, you're smart as always. No wonder you bought so much stuff when we went shopping together. You must have planned ahead!" Lin Caining playfully remarked.

"How's the temperature in your house, Zhang Yiru? It's not the time for power supply, but your house looks so bright," Fang Yuqing asked, expressing her biggest curiosity.

Nothing was more desirable than warmth in extreme cold conditions. Zhang Yiru smiled faintly and turned the phone's camera toward the fireplace. "We have a fireplace! It's very warm, almost too hot inside."

He continued teasingly, "By the way, judging by your appearance, is it really that cold outside?"

"I haven't been out for about ten days, so I don't know the current situation," Zhang Yiru added, causing their resentment towards him to skyrocket. How could he not know what was happening outside? Through the homeowners' chat group alone, he could see everyone's miserable situation and understand how low the temperatures were at other people's homes.

Fang Yuqing and Lin Caining were filled with irritation. They knew Zhang Yiru was deliberately provoking them. Yet, he seemed indifferent, silently savoring their longing gazes.

"Zhang Yiru brother has so much to eat at home. It's amazing! Many people can't even have a proper meal outside now!"

"Haha, you're really clever. No wonder you bought so much before; you must have had a plan!"

Fang Yuqing changed her tone, "Zhang Yiru brother, your house looks so warm, even at this hour. Why is it so bright when there's no power?"

Fang Yuqing expressed her biggest doubt. Nothing was more desirable than being warm in such extreme cold.

Zhang Yiru smiled and reversed the phone's camera, pointing it at the fireplace. "We have a fireplace! It's warm, almost too hot inside. Even without power, it's bright."

Fang Yuqing asked again, "Zhang Yiru brother, your house looks so warm, even at this hour. Why is it so bright when there's no power?"

Fang Yuqing expressed her biggest doubt. Nothing was more desirable than being warm in such extreme cold.

Zhang Yiru smiled and reversed the phone's camera, pointing it at the fireplace. "We have a fireplace! It's warm, almost too hot inside. Even without power, it's bright."

He intentionally continued, "By the way, you guys look so cold. Is it really that cold outside?"

"I haven't been out for about ten days, so I don't know the current situation."

This sentence from Zhang Yiru was like pouring fuel on the fire of their hatred. How could he not know the situation outside? Just by looking at the homeowners' chat group, he could see everyone's miserable situation and understand how low the temperatures were at other people's homes.

Fang Yuqing and Lin Caining were probably not expecting to be rejected by Zhang Yiru. Both of them were stunned for a moment, their eyes filled with disbelief.

In Fang Yuqing's eyes, Zhang Yiru was a good backup option. As long as she beckoned, he would obediently come to serve her. Now that she took the initiative to visit Zhang Yiru's house, he outright refused! This dealt a severe blow to her confidence!

What made her more uncomfortable was Zhang Yiru's condescending tone. No, she couldn't accept such a result! Knowing that there was a warm and well-supplied paradise in her own building, she couldn't endure hunger in her own home. After all, she was a goddess!

Fang Yuqing's face stiffened for a moment, then she put on a smiling face again. "Zhang Yiru brother, don't tease Yuqing like this! Weren't you always good to Yuqing before? Why won't you let her visit you now? She's not asking for anything else."

She pouted, showing a pitiful expression, truly making herself look pitiable. Most men would feel sympathetic and agree to her request on the spot.

However, Zhang Yiru was an exception. Since being betrayed and killed by Fang Yuqing in his previous life, he had no emotions for this woman other than hatred. Zhang Yiru said, "Every time I invited you to my house before, you always found excuses, saying that we are both single, and it wouldn't look good if people found out. I think you're right; we should keep our distance. It's better not to let gossip spread!"

In the past, when Zhang Yiru pursued Fang Yuqing, it took a lot of effort to get her to come out for dinner or a movie. He had to prepare gifts, surprises, and book high-class hotels to have a chance.

When he wanted to take it a step further and invite her to his house, she always had various excuses. Now, Zhang Yiru brought up those past words, returning them to her mockingly.