Chapter 189: Ambition Beyond One's Ability

As Xu Chunlei looked at Xu Dongsheng's determined expression, deep regret filled his heart. He never anticipated that his well-intentioned actions would lead to such consequences.
"Third Grandpa, that person has a gun! And he has supernatural abilities too. If we recklessly confront him, many people will die.""We have provisions now, and we can survive. Is it really worth it?"Xu Dongsheng took a deep breath and coldly rebuked, "Do you even understand anything? With the freezing cold and barren land, no crops can be grown. We're merely surviving on past resources.""But what happens when those provisions run out?""Our Xu family needs to continue the bloodline. Without food, how can we dare to have children?"Xu Dongsheng raised his head, gazing helplessly at the sky. "During years of great calamity, I've experienced it too. At such times, one can only care about those around them.""To rob, to kill—it's all for the sake of survival and the prosperity of the family!"Xu Chunlei wanted to say more, but Third Grandpa glared at him directly. "Enough, stop talking! When the time comes, just follow my orders. As the best representative of the Xu family genes, I'll arrange a few women for you to bear children. You can freely choose the spoils of the raid."Xu Chunlei's scalp tingled. This was not the outcome he wanted! The thought of Zhang Yi's abilities made him tremble with fear. He was terrified of death.He was timid, but what was wrong with that? If he died, he wouldn't be able to reward himself with the second-dimensional idols in his hard drive—his Akiyama Mio, Mashiro Shiina, Haruhi Suzumiya, and others.They would never be seen again. No, he absolutely couldn't allow such a world to exist!Xu Chunlei clenched his fists, his body trembling slightly. Xu Dongsheng, seeing his strange demeanor, curiously asked, "Are you holding in your urine? Go find a place to relieve yourself before you burst your bladder.""It's not like that!" Xu Chunlei suddenly spoke loudly. "I... I won't fight that person! I can't beat him!"The last sentence was almost tearful. He was extremely afraid of death.Xu Dongsheng was momentarily stunned, then angrily said, "Xu Chunlei! Are you still a member of our Xu family? At a time like this, you're acting like a deserter!"Biting his teeth, Xu Chunlei endured his fear of the clan elders. "I can't beat him. My abilities are restrained by him, so it doesn't matter whether I go or not.""Third Grandpa, I don't want to die."Xu Dongsheng coldly stared at him, and after a while, he disdainfully snorted."Useless! With so many talented people in our Xu family, we can manage without you! Get out!"Xu Chunlei, feeling like he was granted a reprieve, turned around and ran back, afraid that he might be too late and Xu Dongsheng would change his mind. Xu Dongsheng watched the back of the chubby guy, exhaling a long puff of white smoke."This kid is good in many aspects, but he's just too timid.""Never mind, it's better if he doesn't go. Keeping his genes might pass his abilities to the next generation!"Xu Dongsheng proudly puffed out his chest. "The Xu family is considered a large clan with a thriving population. Can't we achieve anything without him?"He immediately called the representatives of several branches of the Xu family and informed them of this good news. Everyone was excited upon hearing about such a large warehouse nearby."So, that kid's name is Zhang Yi!"A middle-aged man with a ferocious face said, "He killed my son. I've been wanting to seek revenge on him!""This time, let's settle old and new grudges together!"A tall middle-aged man next to him said, "If he really has so many supplies, it's enough for our Xu family to use for decades!""Thank the heavens for favoring our Xu family. In times like these, it sent us such a big gift!"Someone clasped their hands together, expressing gratitude.Everyone was eager to go back, gather their clansmen, and head to Zhang Yi to "borrow food.""When the time comes, let Chunlei go first. With his ice and snow ability, ordinary doors and glass can't stop him."Someone suggested, "Yes, with Chunlei, our important combat force, we'll have a great advantage!"However, Xu Dongsheng, with a stern expression, said, "This time, Chunlei won't go!"The representatives of the branches below were full of surprise and began discussing in astonishment."What? Chunlei won't go? This... this isn't good, right?""That's right, he alone can handle the role of a hundred people. If he doesn't go, not to mention anything else, Zhang Yi has a gun. He might end up killing quite a few of us!""Third Grandpa, you're the patriarch. You can't condone him in this matter!"Xu Dongsheng impatiently knocked his cane. "Enough! Shut up!""Chunlei was injured the last time he fought Zhang Yi. Zhang Yi is a formidable opponent with profound inner strength. Despite appearances, Chunlei was seriously injured.""He needs time to recuperate at home.""So, he won't be joining us on this mission!"Although Xu Dongsheng looked down on Xu Chunlei's cowardice to some extent, after all, he was a descendant of his lineage, and some bias was necessary. While others still had complaints, they had to give face to the patriarch.Thinking about the hundreds of men in the clan, dealing with a mere Zhang Yi was definitely not a problem, so they stopped saying much.Xu Dongsheng's gaze became serious."All right, everyone go back immediately and gather your clansmen!""Just like when we fought with the neighboring villages before, every male over sixteen must grab a weapon and come with us!""Bring all the shotguns and homemade explosives hidden at home. The other side is an evolved individual, so we mustn't be careless!""We need to win this battle with the lowest casualties possible!"After more than a month in the apocalypse, Xu Dong Village had experienced numerous battles, forming a certain level of discipline.After Xu Dongsheng made arrangements, the representatives of each branch went back to summon people. After some mobilization, hundreds of men armed with weapons gathered at the village square.That night, under the command of Village Chief Xu Dongsheng, everyone, led by the representatives of each branch, divided into six teams and crossed the Lu River, heading towards the Yunque Manor!They muzzled the dogs to prevent them from barking and alerting Zhang Yi. They used sleds pulled by dogs to transport the villagers after crossing the river.After crossing the river, the dogs and sleds were left on the riverbank. After all, the dogs they raised were precious, and losing eight of them at once last time made the villagers extremely distressed. They were reluctant to let any more die!Meanwhile, in the Yunque Manor, the central villa, Villa 101, was brightly lit, exceptionally conspicuous. Zhang Yi, Zhou Ker, and Yang Mi were sitting at the table, enjoying the delicacies laid out on the table.Candlesticks adorned the table, and a bottle of 1983 Lafite was placed on the red silk tablecloth. The dishes were the French gourmet meals Zhang Yi had ordered from a Michelin restaurant initially.Ignoring the possible dangers outside, life in this villa was like a paradise. Untroubled by the pressures of life, they could simply enjoy it.Even Yang Mi, who initially fantasized about leaving one day, gradually immersed herself in this beautiful life and couldn't extricate herself.At this moment, a faint scream came from a distance, breaking the tranquility.