Break me (part 3 out of 11)

Here is chapter 3 as promised! 8 more to go!

_______________________________

Jungkook allowed Namjoon a few hours alone, with the night slowly descending once more, before he ventured towards the room designated for Namjoon's use during his stay at the house.

He noted the absence of light under Namjoon's door, yet Jungkook hadn't reached his current position without exercising caution. Standing still for a full minute, he listened intently for any sound before cautiously easing open the door and peering into the darkness.

The sight that greeted him was almost enough to steal his breath away. Namjoon hadn't closed the curtains before retiring to bed; instead, the moonlight had free rein to illuminate the room through the large open window, casting stars and moonbeams upon the man reclining on the bed. At that moment, Namjoon appeared as close to an angel as Jungkook had ever seen.

It was almost unbelievable that Namjoon was here, in Jungkook's bed. Of course, Namjoon was unaware that this was Jungkook's room, not some random one. When Namjoon had collapsed earlier, Jungkook had placed him here, in his own bed.

Now Namjoon lay there, his bleached locks creating a halo above him, one hand resting on the pillow beside him, the other concealed under the covers.

He was so beautiful.

Namjoon was always beautiful, of course, but there was something about him in that moment, sleeping peacefully. When awake, there was always an air of concern around him, a furrow between his brows, and an uneasiness as if he was constantly anticipating the worst. Now, in slumber, he appeared relaxed, appearing younger than Jungkook had ever seen him.

It hadn't been the same when he had been unconscious before; the pain and medication had interfered. But now, like this... Jungkook was experiencing emotions he couldn't quite articulate.

He was so... beautiful.

Seating himself in the chair placed next to the bed, Jungkook almost hesitated to touch Namjoon. It felt akin to touching an angel, something he wasn't sure he had the right to do.

Instead, he simply gazed at the man, bathed in moonlight, his heart beating faster than he believed was safe, sane, or normal. Only when he was certain Namjoon would not stir did he dare to reach out, running a hand through the other man's soft hair.

"I never wanted you to fear me, never you," Jungkook's voice trembled, his honesty illuminated by the pale moonlight. "I wish things were different, but I can't change who I am, and I won't let you go now. I will never hurt you, but if fear is all I will ever elicit, then so be it."

Leaning over, he pressed a gentle kiss on Namjoon's forehead. "I don't want to be the monster, but they must learn a lesson, and if your fear is inevitable, then I see no reason to hold back."

Jungkook was aware that Namjoon believed the situation to involve merely a gang, unaware of the deeper complexities concealed from him by his colleagues. Jungkook had never pondered it much before, but now that they had all turned against Namjoon, it made more sense.

They weren't just a gang. They were a highly organised, family-based system that had endured for generations. Jungkook hesitated to liken it to a mafia, as that carried cultural connotations, but it functioned much like a traditional mafia branch.

It was why meeting Namjoon had felt so refreshing. It seemed like only yesterday.

___________________________________________

Exactly what Jungkook had been summoned to the station for wasn't critical; both he and everyone else there knew there was no basis for charging him with anything. There was no chance that a) they had concrete evidence to pin on him, and b) anything worth pursuing.