Break me (Part 8 out of 11)

It's a little early today since I am going to be gone for normal posting time :D

__________________

While Jungkook was finally getting a chance to sleep deeply, Namjoon had never been able to sleep deeply in a place that wasn't his own, and even then, it was still a stretch. So, when a phone started ringing in a soft tone, he was instantly awakened.

Namjoon had never been a morning person, so when the slow buildup of a call started on a phone, he just assumed it was his own. For that short moment, he forgot where he was and what had happened. He just grasped for the pair of trousers on the floor that was ringing, not even realizing that it wasn't his, nor that he hadn't had a phone since he had gotten here.

Without even checking who was calling, out of habit, Namjoon swiped to answer, yawning into the receiver, "What?" his voice rough with sleep.

"Oh, aren't you a treat for the eardrums early in the morning. If I knew that, I would have started calling Jungkook more." The voice on the other side of the line was teasing, light, and airy, and much too awake for what Namjoon could only see as barely socially acceptable for the predawn hours.

"What do you want?" If he had been fully awake, he would have instantly said something else. He would have known never to ask an assassin what they wanted because this was Taehyung, who Namjoon was still very sure was a hitman for Jungkook.

He shouldn't be answering Jungkook's phone at all, especially when the other man was still sleeping behind him, curled close to him, almost glued to Namjoon. He was so warm, and his inked arm was still wrapped tight around Namjoon's waist as he snored into the back of Namjoon's shoulder.

"Not a morning person I see, or well... night, I guess." There was a light giggle that was very much not appropriate for somebody with Taehyung's skillset but suited him nonetheless, as somebody on his side of the call clearly urged him to hurry it up.

"No..." It was more of a whine than Namjoon would ever admit to, and he let himself cuddle back into Jungkook at his back.

"It's okay, Kookie can be a demon in the morning and whine like a child." It was strange to hear somebody talk about Jungkook that way; many that Namjoon had met just feared the younger man, so hearing it was weird.

He was too sleepy to answer, just humming as a sign that he did indeed hear what the other man said, even if it went in one ear and out the other.

He heard a distant, 'so cute,' but it didn't sound like it came from Taehyung, so Namjoon just ignored it. He had almost managed to fall back asleep when Taehyung finally actually told him why he called.

"It's just a quick follow-up. Can you tell the sleeping dragon when he wakes up that Chief Bang is dead, and what we are meant to do with the corpse and his family?"

"Sure," Namjoon yawned, the words not registering in his mind for a few seconds.

"Get him to call me back. Talk to you later!" Again, with too much energy and brightness for that early time.

As Namjoon put down the phone, ready to go back to sleep in Jungkook's warm arms, he finally realized the significance of the words that had just been said as they echoed in his head.

'Chief Bang is dead.'

There were no other Chief Bangs. It could only be his Chief Bang, the police chief who had shot Namjoon and started all this mess.

He felt frozen in time, the words echoing in his head over and over again.

They had killed the older man on Jungkook's command. They wanted to know what to do with his family. Oh god, Chief Bang had adult children and a wife.