➵ SEVEN

Genevieve carried her lunch tray to one of the two-person tables in the far corner of the cafeteria, a.k.a. the Doomed Tables, and sat down. This was her usual spot, the seat situated opposite her always empty. That is, until Frank left the line with his tray and set it down in front of her. He pulled the chair out and asked, "Anyone sit here?"

Gen couldn't prevent herself from bursting out in laughter. "God, Frank, you're so funny."

Frank smirked and took that as a 'no', taking a seat and picking up his plastic fork. "The lunches here any good?" he asked before chancing to take a bite.

"Eh, they're not horrible. Just, whatever you do, do not eat the meatloaf. It consists of human flesh and the blood of Satan." When Frank smirked, Gen clarified, "I am not shitting you."

"Duly noted."

After a minute if silent chewing, Gen decided to spark up a conversation. "So, why don't you tell me more about yourself, Frank?"

Sighing, he said, "I'm not a very interesting person."

"Oh, I'm sure you can scrounge up something worth telling," Gen said, determined to get somewhere with that boy. 

Frank scratched his head and took a bite of macaroni, pondering the aspects of his life. Finally, he said, "Uh, I'm pansexual? If that matters."

At first, Gen was caught off guard for the simple fact that she was expecting something like a favorite color or something lame, not an actual important piece of information. "That's cool," she said. "Isn't that when gender isn't a factor?"

Frank stared at her for what seemed like an eternity, his fork-holding hand lingering in midair and his eyes glued to hers. "Basically. Wow..."

Gen swiped a strand of her black hair out of her face and stared back. "What?"

Without looking away, Frank said, "You... are an amazing person."

Genevieve found herself blushing, then stuttered, "Um, I don't – "

"Every single person that I've ever told that to, given not many, reacted the exact opposite way. Thanks for being cool with it."

"I don't know why they would, it's not a big deal, really," Gen said earnestly.

"Yeah..." he sighed thoughtfully, looking down as if reminiscing on a long lost memory.

Genevieve pursed her lips and searched for something to say. "Thanks for telling me, though, and not hiding yourself. You don't have to be scared of me satirizing you. I'm the last person to judge."

Looking back up at her, Frank smiled with closed lips, his eyes glistening. "Thanks, Gen."