➵ TWELVE

Genevieve took the wraps off before she went to bed, but putting them back on was the first thing she did when she woke up the next morning. Seeing her flat chest underneath her t-shirt was the best thing she'd seen since Frank arrived. On the drive to school, there was a one-sided tension between Gen and her mom. Would she notice? Would I slip and tell? What if she heard me up last night and asked what I was doing?

Luckily, Donna spoke of no such things, and when they departed, Gen heaved a sigh of relief. Arriving at Physical Science in the nick of time, she was so happy to see Frank. Wearing a smile, Gen said, "Hey, Mister."

"Hey, Mistress," Frank returned, raising his eyebrows at her peppy mood. "How goes it?"

"Wonderfully, Frank. It's going wonderfully."

"That's good to hear. I assume it's because you were dreaming of me last night?" he teased with a smirk.

"Totally," Gen said dryly, even though he was partially right. Frank had made a cameo in her dream.

Throughout the duration of PS, Gen and Frank threw goofy expressions at each other while the teacher wasn't looking, causing them to giggle every so often. Gen had learned that Frank had English Lit second hour, Trig third, and Art fourth, sharing first hour Physical Science and fifth hour American History with her. She wished they could have more time together.

Lunch approached slowly, both teenagers itching in their seats to be reacquainted. This time, since they knew each other's schedule, Frank met Genevieve in the hall outside of Chem 2 and they walked to the cafeteria together.

All day, Gen's bandages had been slipping down, requiring her to awkwardly readjust them when she thought no one was watching her. While she walked beside Frank, she noticed the same thing happening again, and began cursing herself. I can't fix it right now. He'll notice.

"I gotta go to the bathroom, I'll be right back," she blurted, disappearing around the corner before Frank could protest. Once Gen was safely in a stall, hidden from all the staring eyes, she fixed it and sheepishly returned to her best friend. "Sorry," she apologized as she sat down before him.

"It's cool. Fry?" he asked, holding one out to her whilst munching on one himself.

She laughed, her shoulders relaxing, and accepted. Then, with a puzzled look, said, "Wait, I thought they served meatloaf on Fridays."

"They do. It's Thursday," Frank stated plainly.

Gen sighed heavily and said, "Right. It seems like this week has lasted forever. I mean, can you believe you moved here four days ago? Or was it three? Who gives a shit, it's still insane. How does that even work? I mean, one second we don't even know each other exist, the next, we're best buds. It seems like I've known you my whole life."

"I know, right? It's crazy. But you know what they say – time flies when you're having fun. And Gen, you're just one big ball of fun," he exclaimed sarcastically, laughing at his own joke.

"Ha. Ha," Gen stated hollowly, but laughed a little herself. Will you stop being so damn cute?

Frank rolled his eyes at her and focused on his tray, obviously wanting to say something, but keeping it from her. Gen hadn't noticed because she was too busy keeping a secret herself. If she could tell anyone, it would be Frank, but she still wasn't sure if was a good idea.

Better to just leave it alone, she concluded.