➵ FIFTY ONE

Gerard tried to say something, but Frank cut him off, knowing that since he started he might as well finish, and said, "What's done is done. We can't do anything about it, and frankly, I don't want to. This is where I'm meant to be, I can feel it. I just... I didn't want to put a burden on you. I still don't, but I couldn't keep a secret from you. Not after the promise we made to each other."

"Oh, Frank... Where have you been staying?"

He chuckled shortly and said, "The balcony we had the picnic on."

"A balcony? A fucking balcony, Frank?" Gerard bursted, his eyes wide.

"Well, I had blankets. I couldn't just – "

"I was right there, Frank. Right. There. Why didn't you just tell me? Why do you insist on putting yourself in danger when I'm literally right here. Always. I am and always will be here for you, Frank. Why don't you get that? I didn't say I wanted to be your boyfriend out of courtesy. I care for you, Frank. God, so much, you can't even comprehend and – "

Frank extended his torso to reach over the lunch table, pulled Gerard's face closer to his, and kissed him hard, forgetting that they were in a school cafeteria surrounded by students.

When he broke it, Frank looked around to find that everyone had paused their meal to watch the homosexual make out show. Everyone.

He was expecting an insult or at least one use of the word fag, but when their heads turned back around, Frank realized that they weren't actually aware of the disgustingly gay acts taking place, therefor regarded it as a completely normal act of straightness, therefor making it acceptable.

Frank looked to Gerard and saw that he was putting it together as well. "Man, this world's fucked up," Gerard told him.

"Yeah... the teachers didn't even say anything. I wonder what would've happened if they knew we were gay," Frank thought a loud.

Gerard considered this, then said, "I don't know. Let's find out."