➵ THIRTY SEVEN

At first, it felt tight and uncomfortable, an unfamiliar feeling that made Genevieve second guess if she'd put it on correctly. But then, as she walked around and put her shirt back on over it, it started to become more and more normal. Gen walked back into the kitchen and showcased it to her mom. Then Donna took over the job of crying, tears of unrequited joy being shed over the happiness of her daughter.

"I'm so happy for you, baby," she sniffled, hugging her and kissing her forehead and cheeks.

Knock. Knock.

The mother and daughter jumped at the disruption, spinning their heads toward the door upon which had been knocked on. They knocked again, only more urgently.

Donna answered it curiously, only to find Frank standing on the other side, bones rattling and teeth chattering.

"Oh, Frank! What on earth are you doing? Come, come inside," Donna said, ushering him to the couch.

Gen stood behind the counter, frozen at the sight of him. While he was facing the opposite direction, she scrounged up the box and trash, hiding it under the sink. She looked around for a jacket and had to put on her mother's, for hers was nowhere near. He can't see me wearing a binder! Oh my god, why does he look so cold?

"Frank?" Gen finally left the kitchen and spoke as she rounded the couch and sat beside him. She touched his arm only to find that it was as cold as ice, the tiny hairs standing straight up from his skin. "What's wrong? Why're you so cold?"

Suddenly, a thought occurred to her. She got up and opened the door, taking a step outside and shivering. It was freezing out, at least 40°.

"Have you been outside?" she asked him as she returned.

Finally, they got a nod out of him.

"What? Why? It's eleven o'clock in the morning, Frank!" She unfolded a blanket and laid it on top of him.

He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and...her jacket? She thought back to last night and realized she forgot to get it back from him after lending it. After savoring that lovely memory, she then began to panic after piecing it together. If Mom recognizes it, we're screwed! How do I explain another boy wearing my jacket that I had been wearing when she left for the concert?