➵ FIFTEEN

Genevieve was eager to talk more with her mom, to explain everything to her, but it was getting late and Donna told her to go to bed and they'll talk about it tomorrow. But Gen couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard she tried. Her mind was racing, conjuring up all the possibilities of her new life. What was she going to tell the rest of her family? Would they accept her? What about Frank? Would he still want to be her friend?

I think he'll understand. He seems like the kind of guy to accept people for who they are. Then again, maybe he's scared of other people not accepting him for being my friend.

Suddenly, Lindsey's crying face appeared behind her eyelids.

No. He'll think I'm a freak. Who wants to be friends with the transy? He won't want me to ruin his chances of fitting in at the school. I don't blame him. But, wait. If I don't tell anyone, not even Frank, nobody will know anything has changed. It'll be just like before. Yeah, I can't hurt anything if it doesn't have a reason to be hurt.

.

Gen shut off her alarm and awoke with an easy smile. She was finally comfortable in her own skin and understood why she had felt so weird before. Most of all, knowing that her mom still loved her made her want to scream with joy. It didn't matter if anyone else knew. As long as she knew, she was happy.

"Good morning," Donna smiled as Gen walked into the kitchen. She was wearing her binder under a David Bowie shirt, jeans, and vans, a backpack hanging over her shoulders.

"Hey, Mom," Genevieve piped and hugged Donna. Somehow they felt closer now.

"Everything okay?" she asked with concerned eyes.

Gen nodded confidently and replied, "Everything is perfect."

They grabbed a quick breakfast and got in the car to drive to school. Slightly jittery in the front seat, Gen tapped her fingers on her knee. "Hey," Donna soothed, "It's gonna be okay. Are you going to tell everyone?"

"Um..." Gen started, but then Donna said, "Oh, I don't – I mean, you don't have to. Not at all. I was just asking."

"Well, no. I don't think so."

"That's great, honey. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. I love you."

Gen smiled and leaned over to rest her head on her mothers shoulder, then said, "I love you, too."