➵ NINETEEN

The container of chicken nuggets sat open between the two of them as they took one after the other. Gen exchanged her glances between Frank and the food, trying to come up with something to talk about. On the other hand, Frank had so many things he wanted to talk about, such as what happened in the woods, why she chose to hide something instead of talk to him about it, and what made her want to skip school. As far as he knew, Genevieve was what the other kids called a 'goody two-shoes'. Was he being a bad influence on her? Was there something she was avoiding back at school? Whatever is was, he wanted her to stop doubting him. So, that's what he said.

"You know, you can trust me, Gen. With whatever it is," he spoke softly, not wanting her to react the same as before.

She sighed and dropped her nugget back into the box. "I know that, Frank."

"Well then why won't you tell me? There was obviously something wrong this morning. I'm worried."

Trying to handle it calmer, Gen answered, "Listen, it's not as simple as you think. Don't worry. If I needed to tell you, I would've. Please, just drop it."

"But I wanna – "

She reached her hand across the table and placed it on top of his. "Frank, please."

"Are you sure I don't need to know?"

"Positive."