➵ TWENTY FIVE

"Wha – "

"It's okay, Gen. I saw you and Frank walking from the office window," Donna said. "Come here, sit down."

They sat beside each other on the couch in the living room and Gen was scared to make eye contact with her.

When Donna noticed, she told her, "Oh, sweetie, you're not in trouble."

Gen looked up and raised her eyebrow confusedly.

"I mean, it's meatloaf Friday," she smirked, then became serious and asked, "I just want to make sure that you're being smart about this."

"What do you mean?"

She sighed and placed a hand on Gen's shoulder. "You and Frank. I know you two like each other and I'm just – don't do anything stupid."

Genevieve groaned, "Mom, it's not like that."

"I've seen the way – "

"He doesn't like me!"

Donna gave Gen a blank look and told her calmly, "I just don't want you doing anything you'll regret."

"Okay." Gen sat stiff, baffled at her mother's reaction.

"Just don't do it again," Donna said, remembering that she had to say something motherly to end the conversation. In reality, Donna really wasn't that upset about her skipping school. I mean, it was senior year and she'd been the best kid any mother could ask for, what was a little freedom? She deserved it. And it wasn't like it was the first time she'd done it. She could see her go out to the woods to eat lunch earlier in her high school years, but didn't say anything then. She knew that Gen needed some space and she couldn't take that away from her. The only reason she chose to call her out on it that day was because of one thing. Frank. She liked Frank, knew he was a good kid, and because of that, she also knew that Gen liked him, too. It was one thing for them to hang out while she was there with them, but another to be all alone. Yes, she completely trusted Genevieve. But then again, she didn't.