➵ THIRTY SIX

"How did you – "

"Don't worry about it, hun," Donna said quietly, rubbing her daughter's back. Genevieve was still in shock, the tear soaked smile showing her gratitude. She held up the binder and pressed it against her chest.

Choked up, she said, "Th - thank you, Mom."

"I love you, baby," Donna told her, though it was unnecessary. There was no doubt in Gen's mind that she didn't.

"Wait, don't you have to get these things sized?" Gen asked.

Donna laughed and said, "I went by your bra size. I hope it fits."

"I'm sure it will."

"Go try it on, then, silly. And bring back those wraps you've been using. That's not good for you, ya know."

Gen sighed and tried to reject, "Mom, I know, I just – "

"I know. It's okay. Now you have that," Donna said, pointing to what Gen was holding.

Genevieve walked down to her room and with shaky hands, she took her shirt and wraps off in front of the mirror, feeling like she had just escaped a solid steel cage. Eyeing the binder like the foreign object it was, she realized she didn't know how to put it on. Stupidly, she opened her laptop and googled how to put on a binder. Luckily, the first thing that popped up was exactly what she was looking for, detailed directions. First, she put it inside out and upside down, looking back up at the screen after each step. Then she stepped into it, pulling the bottom of it up to her belt line. She used the sleeves as handles and pulled the top of the binder up to her shoulders. The end. She had done it. Genevieve Angel Way was wearing a binder.