➵ TEN

After an hour or so of Frank telling Gen stories and making her feel imaginary feelings, he checked the time and said he had to go.

"But it's only five," she said, standing up. They'd migrated to the floor, lying on their stomachs, each story changing the mood as he spoke of his past.

"I need to do a few things before she gets home. I'm sorry," he apologized, reloading his bag and putting his arms through the straps.

"No, it's okay, I get it." Genevieve tried to hide her disappointment, but she was pretty sure Frank detected it.

"We'll finish another time," he reassured with a promising look.

"Okay."

They walked down to the kitchen, where her mom was getting food out of the fridge for dinner. "Bye, Miss Way," Frank said charismatically, extending his hand out for her to shake.

She chuckled and took him into a hug, saying, "Bye, Frank. You're welcome back anytime."

"Thanks," he smiled widely as they pulled away.

He opened the door and looked back at Gen. She followed him and closed the door behind her. Slowly, they made their way to the stairs. Frank had his hands in his pockets and as he exhaled, a cloud of cold air blew out of his lips and lingered in front of him before he walked into it.

Breaking the silence, Gen said, "I had fun. It feels nice to have a friend to do that kind of stuff with."

He looked at her from the corner of his eye and smirked. "I know. Thanks for that."

"Yeah..." she trailed off, so many things wanting to be said but nothing coming out. She took one side of the stairs and he took the other. Her foot hit the first step and she heard him yell, "Race you to the top!"

He had a slight head start, but Genevieve managed to catch up in the knick of time, beating him by half a second. "Hey! Cheater!" he accused, pointing a finger.

She gasped and retorted, "As if! You're the one who had a head start."

Frank waved her off and sighed, "Yeah, whatever."

She laughed and rolled her eyes, starting towards his apartment. He followed her and when they got to the door, he said, "Seriously, thanks. You've made these first few days not suck."

"My pleasure," Gen smiled, her eyes briefly scattering from his eyes to his lips and back. What would happen if I kissed him?

"Okay, well, see ya," he said, lingering underneath his doorway.

"Bye, Frank."