➵ EIGHT

Once lunch was over, Gen and Frank had to depart and endure fourth hour alone, only to be reunited again in fifth. Just like before, he awaited her arrival in her desk beside his with a welcoming smile. She noticed that after just a day, there already seemed to be a routine forming. Is this how friendships work?

"So tell me more about that," Genevieve said, pointing to his journal.

Frank giggled and said, "We're gonna need a lot longer than fi – "

"Get out your notes from yesterday!"

.

"How about you come over to my place?" Genevieve asked at her locker, picking up where they left off before Mr. Ross interrupted them. Frank had forgotten and raised his eyebrow. "To show me your journal."

"Oh, yeah, that's cool. My mom doesn't get home until six, so it should be fine."

"Awesome," Gen smiled and shut her locker, leading him outside and across the field to her mom's car. The grass was mushy and covered in dew from the rain that night, making each little blade stick to their sneakers. Usually by November 20th, they'd have received at least a little bit of snow, being up in Oregon, but winter was a late starter that year.

"So where does your mom work?" Gen sparked just as they approached the car.

"Um..." Frank said nervously, his pitch higher than normal. He opened the door and hoped Miss Way would interrupt him.

She turned around from the driver's seat and smiled brightly at him. "Oh, hello, Frank!"

"Hi, Miss Way," he smiled back and put his seatbelt on. Frank could see Genevieve's reflection through the right rear view mirror outside the window. She was staring back at him with a raised eyebrow, and when their eyes met, she smirked, shook her head, then looked away.

"Mind if he comes over for a little while? We're going to do homework," Gen informed her.

Donna slyly smiled and asked, "That it?"

Gen exploded with, "Oh my god, Mom! Yes, that is it."

The remainder of the short drive to Dodger Apartments was quiet, the only sound being the thick, hot air blowing out of the vents. When they arrived, Donna, Gen, and Frank walked up the flight of stairs to the second floor, the seniors standing behind Donna as she took out her key ring and unlocked the door.

"Alright, we'll be in my room, Mom," Gen said as she led Frank down the narrow hallway, where her bedroom was at the end.

"Uh, I don't think so. Living room," her mother corrected with skeptical eyes.

Genevieve turned around and walked up to her mom, looked her straight in the face, and whispered, "Mom, nothing's going to happen. We are just friends. Stop."

After staring back at her daughter relentlessly, a smile crept onto her face and she said, "Keep the door open."

"Okay." Frank stood awkwardly at the entrance of the hall, fists in pockets, feet swaying. Gen noticed and said, "Don't worry about it. She's just being a mom."

Frank nervously laughed and managed a yeah.