➵ FIFTY FIVE

sam

Hours had passed and the boys were too engulfed in each other to pay attention to time. To them, they had an eternity together and not even the demolition of the earth could chink their forever.

They lied side by side, hand in hand, staring up at the shapeless clouds and spots of blue. The swoosh of the leaves swaying in sync blended sweetly with the trickle of freshwater being swam through by nameless minos.

It was now close to one o'clock, meaning they had skipped the rest of lunch and fourth hour, leaving an hour and a half before the last bell rang. Though Gerard answered indifferently each time Frank asked if he wanted to go back, he was internally having a mini anxiety attack.

I just announced that I am trans. I just said that I was gay. I just admitted to loving Frank. In front of everyone. What the fuck was I thinking. What will they do? To me? To Frank? God, Lindsey, what I would do to have you here right now. You'd be able to talk me through this.

And why did we leave? Again. Mom said to not abuse it. Am I? What will the school do? How many absences does it take to get a detention? Oh my god, I cannot get a detention. Not now. Not senior year. That would be so lame.

We gotta go back. But, I don't want to leave.

Gerard craned his neck to the right to look at Frank, who was staring emptily into the abyss, his mouth closed and his eyes unblinking.

Do you know how much I love you? I hope you do. How can this be? I've waited so many years and now it's like none of it matters. You are my life, Frank. And I will do anything to make sure you know that.