➵ FIFTY NINE

sam

With an accomplished smile, Gerard met Frank outside his door, grateful that he was bearing good news. "Told you she'd say yes," Gerard teased, sticking his tongue out.

A smile lit up Frank's face and he threw himself onto Gerard to give him a hug. "Thank you," he whispered before standing back up and following him into his apartment.

When Donna met them in the living room, Frank hurried to her and gave her a hug also. "Thank you, Miss Way."

"Honey, it's Donna. Don't make me feel older than I already am," she joked, patting his back.

She gestured to the couch and said, "I hope this is alright. We don't have an extra bed, so..."

"It's perfect. Thank you," Frank couldn't stop expressing his gratitude. He looked around the apartment, noticing how clean it was. The one time he'd come over before, he didn't get a good look of the place.

"Well, make yourself at home, Frank. We'll have dinner in a few hours." Donna started towards her room, then remembered, "Oh, and when's your mom getting back in town?"

Gerard's heart leapt out of his chest. He shot Frank a look that he hoped translated to just go with it. Fortunately, Frank caught on quickly and said, "I think she said some time next week?"

"She's leaving you for Thanksgiving?" Donna asked, shocked.

"Um, well, we don't really have a lot of family around here and it was an emergency trip. I'm sure we'll celebrate when she gets back or something."

Gerard smiled, impressed at Frank's impromptu act.

"Oh, okay. Is it alright if you celebrate it with us also? Or would she want you to wait?"

"I'm sure she'll be fine with whatever," Frank shrugged, trying to keep his cool.

"Alright, sweetie. Well, I'll be in my room if you need anything," she said, and disappeared behind her door.

Frank exhaled exaggeratedly, "Oh my god, Gerard. What did you – "

"I'm sorry, I panicked! But you were very convincing, so I'm almost positive everything's gonna work out."

"Are you sure? I just don't want you to get in trouble if she finds out and – "

"Frank! Calm down, she's gonna hear you. It's fine. Everything's fine."

He took a few deep breaths, then smiled. "Have I ever told you that you're amazing?"

Gerard played along and said, "Hmm, probably, but you can say it again."

"You're amazing," Frank drawled, walking closer to him and landing a kiss on his curved up lips.