➵ FORTY TWO

She took down the remaining translucent liquid in one gulp, making Frank chuckle and say, "Damn, Gen. I didn't know you were that kind of drinker."

She faked a smile and stared at him, a billion bees buzzing around in her head. "Frank, I have something to tell you."

The tone in her slowly slurring speech let him know she was taking the conversation down a different, more serious route. He set his glass down and gave her his undivided attention. "Anything."

"But...but, you have to promise me that no matter what happens, we'll still be friends at least," she said, needing reassurance that if it all went downhill, she wouldn't be left completely alone again.

"Of course, Gen. What would – "

"Sshhh, just let me finish." He closed his mouth in agreement and let her continue. "Over the past few days, I've been feeling...weird. Well, not necessarily weird, more like, different. Yeah. And I know this will definitely throw things off, but you know what, I can't keep this from you any longer. That's not fair and I can't stand it."

"Now, hold on, Gen. You're drunk. Make sure you aren't gonna say anything you'll regret later," Frank intercepted, the possibilities of what might come out of her mouth alarming.

"No, sshhh, stop making me second guess myself. This is the right thing to do. Fuck, I don't know, is it? Wait, do you remember that one day at lunch when I asked you to tell me about yourself?"

"Yeah..."

"And you said you were pan, right?"

"Yes. Gen, where's this go – "

"I'm transgender, Frank."