➵ FIFTY FOUR

sam

After holding hands all the way there, the boys finally arrived at the rock, the time it took to get there doubled due to their impromptu game of hide and seek behind the thick trees.

Once they hopped over the running stream and climbed up the rock, tension rose between their breaths. What did we come here to do? Gerard worried that his mom saw them run into the forest hand in hand, but insisted that he was being too wary. I need to just let myself live for once.

Frank dared to look into Gerard's eyes, his thoughts veering towards his lips, then down to his – Oh, right. He still has the lady parts. Just as well...

"Frank," Gerard started, noticing that he was staring. "I..."

Starting to lean in, Frank didn't notice the change in Gerard's expression. "Frank," he said more stringently, placing his hand on Frank's shoulder to keep him from coming any closer.

"What is it?"

"Maybe we shouldn't... ya know. I mean, do the thing," Gerard searched for words and cringed at what came out.  "Like – "

"Oh, Gee, no, no. I didn't think we were gonna – no, I was just – not here, I mean. Not now. It's just I – " Frank's cheeks were red hot, the genuine miscommunication startling him. 

Giggling, Gerard pushed him backwards to where he was lying on his back, and crawled on top of him, taking his cheeks in his hands and inhaling his hot breath as he kissed Frank.

"Hhmm," Frank sighed, "Where'd you learn that from?"

Gerard opened his eyes momentarily to roll them at Frank, then returned to his closed-eye serenity.