➵ SIXTY FIVE

sam

Frank thanked Donna a million times from the bottom of his heart, pecking her on the cheek over and over, Gerard giggling at him from the side. She laughed, wiping away the tears from his cheeks, and looked both of the boys in the eyes. "Now, listen, you two. Promise to not keep secrets from me, understand? You know I won't be upset. In fact, it hurts me more when you lie to me."

They sighed and began rambling on how they weren't sure if she'd let him stay or what she'd do. Donna cut them off and said, "I know, I know. But now we're on the same page, right?" Gerard and Frank nodded. She glared at them, brows raised, and asked, "No more secrets needing to be shared?"

They slowly turned to each other, a screen being displayed on either's forehead, telling the other what was on their mind. She knows, Frank seemed to say.

How? Gerard wondered.

They kept at this for a while before Donna cleared her throat, reminding them that she was sitting right there, witnessing the whole thing. "Boys...?"

"I'msorryitwasn'tsupposedtobeasecretbutFrankneededaplacetostayandIwasafraidthat – "

"Gerard, slow down. Now what wasn't supposed to be a secret?"

"Us," Frank blurted, his cheeks as hot as a searing pan.

Gerard's heart was pounding out of his chest, his pulse ringing in his ears. "Waitithasn'tbeenthatlongImeanbutwe'vegrownsocloseandFrankissowonderfulMomyoudon'tunderstandandit'slikeweweremeanttobetogetherand – "

"Honey, stop. I...I do know how wonderful Frank is and..." Donna noticed how close Gerard's hand was to Frank's, how naturally they fit together. She smiled at Frank and spoke to Gerard again. "You're very lucky to have him."