➵ FORTY FIVE

"You have no idea how happy I am," Frank murmured into Gen's ear. They were lying down beside each other facing the edge of the balcony.

He smiled at Frank and twisted onto his side to face him. "I think I might," he countered, then kissed Frank's cheek.

"Gen, I..." Frank started, then asked, "Wait, do you still want to be called Genevieve?"

He raised his brow and said, "Um..." He thought back to his journal and how he used to sign as G instead of his name. He took a deep breath and sat up. "You know what? No. I think I need a new name, Frank. Gen just isn't...me, ya know?"

Frank laughed and said, "Yeah. But...what?"

"Hmmm, I dunno. I kind of still wanna keep G, 'cause...I don't know, I like it. What're some names that start with G?"

"Gertrude," Frank immediately stated. It was silent, then they both busted out laughing.

"Um, no," he said, then thought of, "George?"

Frank scrunched his nose and shook his head. "Gregory?"

"Nah. Gerald?"

Frank said, "That's kinda – oh my god, Gerard!"

He froze, stared at Frank, then spoke carefully.

"Gerard Arthur Way."

"That sounds nice. Suits you," Frank told him.

Gerard held his hand out for Frank to shake and said, "Hi, my name is Gerard Way. Nice to meet you, Frank."