➵ FORTY SIX

The time had passed faster than their hearts could perceive. It was now half past two, and Gerard knew his mother would definitely start suspecting if she hadn't already begun. The wine stain on the blanket caught his eye and he sighed, hoping to never forget this moment. The wind had sped up and kept trying to rip the blanket out from underneath them, a way of fate letting them know it was time to end their afternoon out on the balcony.

Just as Frank began to repack the basket, they heard footsteps. Gerard shushed Frank and listened intently. "Hurry," he ushered, "that's probably my mom."

Together, they carelessly threw the trash and remaining food into the basket, Frank folding the blanket in record speed and stuffing it on top before closing the latch. They listened again, but no footsteps were heard. The boys were now huddled in the corner, avoiding being seen from below the secret staircase.

"You think she left?" Frank whispered, the warmth of his breath a refreshing contrast to the brisk winter air on Gerard's skin.

"I think so," he answered, chancing a peek around the corner. "She's not there."

They left the hiding place and stood at the top of the stairs facing each other. This tragic routine of saying goodbye was getting more and more difficult as the days passed. Basket in one hand, Frank used his other to caress Gerard's cheek.

"I love you no matter what," Frank told him in the most confident tone Gerard had ever heard him use.

Redness flushed his face as he looked down bashfully. Frank tilted his chin up and reinstated, "I mean it, Gen – ugh, Gerard. I'm sorry, it's gonna take a – "

"I know. It's okay," Gerard said gently, his smile convincing Frank that everything really was okay. "Goodbye."

Frank hugged him, inhaling the sweet essence of euphoria, then gave him a kiss for the road. "Goodbye, Gerard."