➵ THIRTY THREE

Oh. No.

The clock read 8:36 a.m. and Frank was still in bed. He knew his mom was awake by then for sure. Just his luck.

He quickly got out of his still barely damp clothes and changed into dry ones, finding a plastic bag stuffed in the corner and packing an extra outfit in it in case he couldn't come back anytime soon. Intently, he pressed his ear to his door and listened for any sound that indicated his mother's wake.

Nothing.

He listened for five minutes before he decided that perhaps she was still sleeping. With swift movements, he made his way down the hallway, taking note of her closed door. He tip-toed around the couch and was almost to the door when – crash!

Frank tripped over her mother's heel that had been thrown at him days before and left there. He jumped up and hoped to God it didn't wake her up.

Her door was opening.

No.

He could see a hand extend from around the doorframe.

Shit.

Linda Iero walked out of her bedroom with knots in her hair and makeup under her eyes. The second she caught sight of her son, she began walking toward him.

"What the hell are you doing here – "

Frank slammed the door and looked for an escape route on the other side. He turned left, right, he could hear the door opening. There!

He ran around the corner and saw a staircase covered with years of dirt and trash, clear signs of abandonment. I didn't know there was a fourth floor...

He skid up the steps, grabbing the rail for support, but once he reached the top, he had to halt or else he would've fallen over the edge of a balcony and plummeted to his death fifty feet below. He crouched down in the corner, his shallow breaths causing his lungs to burn and ache.

Linda's slipper-covered feet thudded down the complex hallways and stairs, her angry voice echoing against the concrete walls. "Frank?!? Frank, where are you?" When she received no reply, she concluded with, "Fine! But don't you ever, ever come back thinking you'll be welcome. I don't want to see your goddamned face ever again!"

"Sounds good to me, bitch," he muttered under his breath.