Chapter Thirty Seven

Eleanor couldn't talk to her grandfather long as more customers appeared downstairs, so Lyall decided that instead of keeping his granddaughter from helping the others, that he would join in.

"Are you sure Grandpa? It gets crazy down there."

"Oh please, if you don't know crazy. You should see some of the things I've seen during my years working at the ministry." he said. "There isn't much that phases me anymore...and if it does, I probably won't remember it within a few days."

She laughed. "Alright, but if it gets too much, hide behind the counter."

"Or I'll throw someone behind it if they get too close." Lyall said.

Eleanor glanced over at him.

"What? You don't think I could do it? Because I can!"

"I wasn't arguing with you!"

"That's what I thought, now let's go."

"You know the customers won't appreciate all this sass, Grandpa." Eleanor smiled.

"Well, good thing I wasn't going for the award of excellent customer service today."

The two Lupins reentered the shop and assisted customers. Lyall helped Verity and Lee while Eleanor took in another knitting order. She was writing down the last remaining details when Fred approached her.

"Putting your own grandfather to work?" Fred asked her. "I like your work ethic."

"No, he volunteered so be sure to thank him."

"I'll thank him one thousand times." Fred said.

"Make it two."

"Deal." he kissed her forehead. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm surviving. I guess with the cold weather coming that I should have expected more orders to come in."

"Is the stuff you already sell not enough?"

"People want them personalized." She shrugged. "I'm not one to say no."

"Oh really?" he smiled.

She flicked him in the forehead. "Not in the workplace, Sir. I'll file a complaint with management." she teased.

"You forget I am management."

"Only half." she reminded him before walking off.

Finally, the shop doors were closed and locked for the evening. Everyone who had worked the long day collapsed upstairs in the flat.

Lyall was giving full use of the sofa while everyone either took to a chair or the floor. Eleanor sat on Fred's lap as he sat on the floor.

"What a day." George yawned resting back in a chair. "I thought we were about to sell out of the entire shop before the end."

"I say we all take the day off tomorrow." Fred said.

"I'd say you all retire." Lyall added making the group of young adults laugh. "You should have made enough money to do so with today alone."

"Oh no, Grandpa, these two could make all the money in the world but it wouldn't stop them. They love what they do." Eleanor told him.

There was a crack in the kitchen and the group saw Judith had arrived.

"Looks like you all had a rough day." she smiled. "I'm sorry I couldn't help, I was working myself. But I did bring you all food."

"You're a godsend." George said standing up and walking over to her.

Eleanor didn't find herself hungry, but exhausted as she leaned into Fred, resting her head on his shoulder everyone else ate.

"Happy Halloween." she told him.

"And a very Happy Halloween to you as well." he said.

"So my dad has grown quite suspicious of our activities involving Sirius and Nixie." she said.

"Oh really?"

"Fortunately, he doesn't suspect any of the animagus stuff."

"What does he think we're doing then?" Fred asked.

"He assumed I was pregnant."

"And we would hide that from him, because?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I would never hide something like that from him. He would be one of the first people to know about something like that."

"I would be the first right?"

"You'd be the second." she smiled.

"Second?! Who's the first?"

"Me. Duh."

"Oh you know what I meant. Now you're just trying to be a smart arse."

"What can I say it's in my jeans."

Fred just stared at her, as she watched him register what she had said.

"Ahhh..okay that was clever." he said finally. "Haha...jeans."

"Hey Grandpa, I've been thinking about something...and I wanted to run it by you." Eleanor said that same evening before Lyall was set to leave.

"What's that, my dear?"

"You know how my knitting has a way around dark magic..."

"Yes, of course."

"Well...do you think if I could knit something for Dad during that "time" that perhaps it would help him?"

"You mean prevent him from transforming?"

"I guess so."

"I don't know about that, Ellie. Your knitwear has proven itself to be outstanding but...your father shreds through clothing during that time."

"What if he couldn't shred it?"

"That would be some powerful magic. Werewolves are incredibly strong."

"But the wolfsbane could help with that right, it allows him to keep his mind."

"Even so my dear, during those times it's frustrating and at any point your father could lose his temper in a rage."

Eleanor frowned.

"I know you want to help him, Ellie. Trust me," Lyall placed his hands on her shoulders, " your grandmother and I did everything we could possibly think of to help him. It's not easy, but what you, Fred and George are doing, that should be more than enough. But I will say this as your grandfather, please, please be careful. If anything were to happen to you, your father would never in a million years forgive himself."

"I understand."