Chapter One ➰

A SUMMER OF CHANGE

*

Tia's POV.

SUMMER: The supposed season of hot weather, cute bikinis and as many bbq's we can squeeze in before we become morbidly obese.

Unfortunately I live in Manchester, we have random hot days in the winter and pouring down rain in the summer, that's just British weather for you, fucking unpredictable.

There's also the fact I live in an apartment, I don't have a garden to flip burgers on, I don't even have a balcony, sucks to be me I guess.

In all fairness I don't even have that many people I like in this world that I'd invite over anyways. Every cloud and all that...

My apartment isn't much, but for me and my best friend Lydia it's more than enough. The only downside to our living space is how exceptionally thin the walls are (I learnt this from the time she bought a guy home one night) but that's another story, for another time.

We don't need to start her off again on the topic of 'Jarred.'

Hearing your best friend having sex is probably up there with the most awkward moments to ever encounter, Im still scarred to this day. Luckily for her I forgave her for putting me through such a monstrosity,  you see Lydia is my rock, and the only way to describe our friendship is if I was a lesbian she'd probably be my soul mate.

I've known Lydia all my life, we grew up together from nursery, and the fact that our parents lived next door to each other was just an added bonus, until we got to that age where we could no longer say we were sleeping at the others house and sneak out to parties without getting caught and grounded, then it became a problem.

A major problem.

Of course that's when we came up with a master plan that we would move here to Manchester and attend university,  for educational purposes of course totally not the free reign with no parental guidance, of course our parents totally disagreed and thought it was a terrible idea, then Lyd caught her dad sticking his penis into the cleaner and she told them it was too toxic for her to reside at home, me being the great friend I am couldn't let her do this alone, so eventually my parents caved in and let me accompany her.

Don't ask me how, but it worked.

I know I'm still shocked they trusted me. I don't even trust me. I have my dad to thank for that, he's laidback and chilled, Shame the same can't be said for my mother, forever picking apart my life, throwing her parental views around like I'm actually gonna abide by the rules, I've never been one to follow the rules.

How can you have fun, if you're not slightly bending the rules?

I know I can't.

So here we are, a year later independent adults and all, one year of college done, and a summer of madness awaits. I was so glad to be away from the mass of textbooks and assignments, this year alone, I swear had given me my first grey hair. I'd chosen to study business, it was something I'd always been interested in, so imagine my shock when I started the course and realised I absolutely hated it. I'd always thought about owning my own business, or becoming a manger of some sort, a high up position, a job that screams successful because isn't that what all of us want in life? I hadn't anticipated the amount of early mornings and work loads I'd have to go through in university just to get to that point. Why couldn't my dream have been to work in McDonald's? Lydia was the polar opposite, she'd chosen to study performing arts and unlike me she actually enjoys her course.