Chapter Seventy Eight: ➰

CHRISTMAS WITHOUT YOU

*

Hunter's POV

Have you ever kicked yourself? Over and over again? Because I have. I seem to be doing it every single day, kicking myself for the idiot that I've been lately.

In fact idiot isn't even a good enough word to describe my actions over these past couple of months. I shouldn't be kicking myself I should be shooting myself.

There's this stupid quote that pops up from time to time, and right now it can be used to describe exactly the way my life is..

"You don't know a good thing until you've lost it."

Now you can understand why I'm kicking myself.

But how did I come to realise this? My angry ulter ego finally fucked off, that's how.

Step 1: was cutting back the drugs. Not from the business but from my body, seriously my minds a lot clearer.

Step 2: was finding the realisation that the only thing in this world that can make me happy is the one thing I let go, and sexual intercourse really highlighted just how fucking happy she makes me.

There's only one problem and that's the fact I don't make her happy, in fact I make her the opposite, I cause her nothing but hurt, time and time again. Tia had forgiven me every god damn time for it, but this time- this time was different. Very different, I went too far and pushed her over the edge. Hell shes probably running for the hills, I think I'd want to get away from me if I had to date me. I was a nightmare. A living breathing nightmare.

Three months ago, I pictured this day..

Christmas Day.

And let me tell you this, it hadn't gone how I envisioned it, I thought I'd have two people here to be merry with, mulled wine and a cigar by the fire with my father and watching my girls face on Christmas morning light up because I've spoilt her rotten with extravagant gifts.

This is how it really went..

My sister spent the morning with her head down the toilet and arguing with her husband because he was hungover again.

Mick broke my mothers favourite vase and as for me well I spilled my glass of champagne over my Christmas dinner and therefore had fucking trifle to settle my hunger.

Disaster was an understatement.

I could only hope that having a few people over tonight would cheer old Scrooge here up, highly doubt it though, because let's be honest three of the people coming do not have me in their good books.

But if I ever hoped for Tia's forgiveness, it would be more than beneficial to get the best friend to forgive me first.

Any minute now they'd be arriving, I sat nervously in my father's office, my office now as I waited. Maybe a little Dutch courage would settle me a little, I dug around in cabinets and came up with nothing, I find it hard to believe my dad had no alcohol stashed away in here.

My prediction proved correct as in the last place I looked, in his bottom drawer of his desk there was half a bottle of jack Daniels.

Like father like son.

I also pulled out the two glasses that were hidden at the back of the drawer, pouring one for me and well the other one is just habit. Although I know he's not going to drink it, I mean how could he? He's dead. But he's here, he's definitely here.