Hinata Shoyo

"Before my eyes, it blocks my path. A high, high wall; what sort of scene is on the other side? What will I be able to see there? "The View from the Top;" A scenery that I will never see on my own; but, if I'm not alone, then.....I might be able to see it."

"You can't assume we'll lose, as long as we don't give up...The six of us...The six of us can finally play volleyball on the court. The first game, second game...We'll win and keep winning. We're going to give it our all!"

"If you're the king that rules the court, I'll have to defeat you, and I'll be the last one standing!"

"It doesn't matter if they're strong or weak. The bottom line is whether we win or lose, and if we lose, we're off the court for good."

"It's painful. I want to stop. When I feel that way, I take a step forwards."

"I'm Hinata Shōyō, and I sprouted from the concrete."

"Everyone's so big and they look strong, but when we're in a match, I feel like I'm taking those people on. It's exciting. It's nerve-racking."

"Do you need a reason not to want to lose?"

"Man, the grand king really is amazing... But even so, as long as I'm here, you'll be the strongest!!!"

"But now we can fight. Even if they read us or catch up to us... We can fight!"

"It's true that I'm not very tall. However! I can jump!"

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

"I hate being weak, but... Knowing that there are so many players better than me... Makes me feel so excited!"

"I'm going to defeat you, Great King!"

"I don't have that sort of height or power, but I can still fight!"

"Having said that, I agree it's still better to chase after the balls you think you can save..."

"It's simple really, I want to defeat you at your best."

"What? Kageyama called for a toss?"

"Something's different. Different from the time when I couldn't see the "other side" because of blockers. I was at complete loss for what to do. But now it's different. I can tell they're matching me by the skin of their teeth. I used to be afraid of blocks. I hated them. But when that guy's in front of me, I feel excitement. With your toss, and with some kind of strategy, I'm sure we can break through this wall. One more time... Send me a toss."

"The next time, we'll make you guys desperate. We'll win, and... We'll make you say, "I'm mad." or "That was fun," instead of just, "sort of."

"It's just, upon seeing one of your incredibly rare, properly done tosses, I'm conflicted with feelings of excitement and frustration...!" *to tsukishima*

"Ushijima-san! When you're receiving What's going through that head of yours?"

"There's nothing wrong with holding your ground and not backing down a single inch."

*about Hinata* "Hinata has this habbit of... Pulling off a play here and there as though he's being possessed by some kind of god... But what he pulled just now... It was done so effortlessly and so casually... Like it's always something he's been able to do."

"Tsukishima usually takes criticism from others pretty well, but for some reason when it comes from Kageyama's lips, all bets are off."

"ALL THAT GUY DOES IS COMPLAIN AND GETS IN MY FACE!!"

"I've thought about it for a very long time... Why is being the "King" a bad thing? Waz it 'cus it means he's oppressive? 'Cuz he's self-centered? WHATEVER THE REASON, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER... 'CUZ IF I DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT KAGEYAMA IS SAYING, ALL I GOTTA DO IS SIMPLY TUNE HIM OUT!!"

"That's why... IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER... WHETHER YOU'RE A "KING" OR NOT! Besides, a nickname like the "King" sounds totally badass..."

"HEY, YOU'VE HARDLY BEEN DOING ANY ATTACKS FROM THE DIRECT CENTER... KAGEYAMA, YOU AREN'T CHICKENING OUT ON ME ARE YOU?! USE THE CENTER MORE!!!"

"A setter is like the teams ruler and the coolest of 'em all!!" No matter how much of a goody-two-shoes you pretend to be, your true nature is that of a king so just accept it already!

"THE NEW- "KING OF THE COURT!" IS BORN!!"

"Aw man... I'd kill to have a nickname half as cool as that..."

"He was even worse than I could have imagined and we went through a lot, but once we started playing our matches, I felt like we understood each other. It wasn't that he was the first friend I made. He was a partner."

'Even though he was covered in sweat... And seemed strained... The "small giant" kept jumping over and over again. Back then, I really didn't understand it well, but I'm sure that he was someone who had the "trust" of his comrads. Everyone on the team thought he would defitnetly succeed, so they felt connected to the small ace. And without a doubt, Asahi-san is the same.'

'Crap... Kageyama isn't even shouting... He's seriously pissed... It's the same feeling as when I hit the back of his head with my serve.'

"... What's so wrong... With being envious of him... Someone like you, who's always been tall, wouldn't understand at all!!"

"... The first time... I was in a match, my team was a real mish-mash, so I thought "I have to properly handle everything on my own." But now, because I'm surrounded by players who are much better than I am, all I can do is trust in them and jump."

"I mean, libero isn't a position you'd do because you're short. It's a position you can do because you're good at receives, right?"

"... I want to become an ace...!"

"You're not gonna do it?"

"But that was awesome! So cool! It stopped right before my eyes! It was like shoop! I totally thought it was coming this time, but when it actually stops right in front of you, it's sorta scary! You really are awesome! Awesome! So awesome!"

"I'll show you just how much we can grow from the concrete."

"We, who grew from the concrete, will beat you and go to nationals!"

'A senpai of the King. That would make him... The Great King.'

"But you know, it's normal to be at each others throats every now and again, no?"

"C'mon Tsukishima, you're being so immature!"

"But I was right there to receive the ball!!! I don't care about any of that stuff from junior high!! For me, no matter what kind of toss it is, it's one that I reaaaally wanna receive!! I'll jump anywhere!! I'll hit any kind of ball!! So keep on tossing it my way!!"