Kaneki Ken

"Why is it that the beautiful things are entwined more deeply with death than with life?"

"You're wrong. It's not the world that's messed up; it's those of us in it. Yes, some ghouls walk a path that leaves sorrow in their wake, but just like humans, we can choose a different path altogether. We have a lot to learn, both your kind and mine. We need to stop fighting, and start talking. Because when it comes to the state of the world, you can't point your finger at ghouls or humans. We're all to blame."

"As my fingers and toes re-grew like fingernails or hair over and over and over and over... and over again, every single time I got the feeling that I truly, truly truly was a monster."

"Never trust anyone too much, remember the devil was once an angel."

"I led me by the hand, as if to fill the niches in the memories in my oozing brain fluid. Without even a destination, we kept walking. Disgusting clouds were floating in the sky. I already know what will happen to me the next time I wake up."

"I was wrong. I wasn't eating ghouls. I'm the one who was being eaten."

"Human relationships are chemical reactions. If you have a reaction then you can never return back to your previous state of being."

"You think something like that would hurt, after all I've been through?"

"It's better to be hurt than to hurt others. Nice people can be happy with just that."

"I'm begging you, don't make me a killer!"

"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy."

"What's wrong isn't me, what's wrong is the world!"

"I know... there are ghouls who only see humans as targets to be preyed upon — and on the other hand, there are humans who have decided that ghouls are only inhuman monsters... But I don't think either of those are correct. I think what's necessary is the 'right distance.' Instead of mutually tramping on each others' existence we should just respect each other a little more."

"I won't let that happen. Not just Aogiri, anyone who dares to take away my place to be. I won’t forgive anyone who threatens the peace in my life. It’s just like hand-picking coffee beans. For the sake of a good cup of coffee, we pluck out the ones that are trash."

"In this world, the strong devour the weak. Who are the strong? I am. I fucking am!"

"Fiction books give the reader a chance to step away from their own reality and into the shoes of the characters, and they show you a world that isn't the one you already know. And sometimes the story's not so different from you own, and it lets you get closer to your own feelings. So when you close a book you've just finished reading and return to reality, all the pain and sadness you couldn't put into words before are still there on those pages. And that can be comforting."

"Sometimes you're confronted with the ugly parts of yourself that you don't want to see, but books can also tell you a lot about the things you didn't notice when you're just trying to get through somehow."

"Hide... You know... I... I'm so lonely without you..."

"I will carry on the last wish of the previous King, and create a world where ghouls and humans can understand each other."