1

I woke up to the sound of my mother yelling at the top of her lungs. I groaned, tossing on myself on my side, throwing the pillows over my head. This was how I wake up every morning. My mother talking on the phone to someone, usually my father, and it ends up in her screaming at the top of her lungs. 

   My mother doesn't really get along with my father ever since she found out he cheated on her. It started off when he would cancel there date nights they would have Friday nights, she didn't think much of it at the time, just that he was tired from job.

   Soon enough the cancelling date nights, become late  nights for work. That's when my mother become doubtful. She trusted her instincts and believed my father. About a month went by and he would still occasionally work the late shifts.  

   But one night, he never came home. My mother and I both waited on the couch worried, hoping he'd walk through, but he never did. He came home the next day smelling of perfume and his hair was a mess. There was even a small tint of red lipstick on his lips, and we both knew what that meant. I raced out of the house, and left them to argue. 

   So that's how their marriage ended. Of course I didn't talk to my dad for a while, but he told me why he did it, and believe it or not, I forgave him. Him and my mother deserve to be happy, even if it means they won't be together. 

   My father and the lady quite seeing each other and now my father has moved to California, and I visit there for a month during the summertime. 

   I angrily threw my pillow down on the bed, and looked at the clock. Seven O'clock. Are you kidding me? I rubbed my eyes, and let my vision focus before I got out of my comfy bed. My white walls were illuminating due to the sunlight, making my room bright.

   I carefully made my way down the steps, trying to see if I could hear any part of the conversation. I watched every step, making sure to step on my toes softly. I stopped at the end of the wall so my mother couldn't see me. 

  As I stopped, I leaned my head out so I could hear clearly. I scrunched my eyebrows, trying hard to focus in. 

   "No, Tom." My mother said sternly, a little bit frustrated. She kept her voice in a low whisper, probably realizing she was too loud before. "I don't care what you think. Paislee is staying here with me."

   Staying here with me?  Is she not letting me see my father this summer? If that's the case, then she can't stop me. He's my father and I love him, you never know how long you have with people, crazy shit happens every day. I don't care how angry she is with my father, it's been two years. She needs to act like an adult. 

    "No." She said, a little louder this time. "She's staying here with me and that's final."

    With that, I slowly made my way down the stairs, making the step creak so she would know I was in the room. She quickly turned around, her phone pressed firmly against her ear. Her mouth formed an 'o'. I just looked at her.

    "Tom." She said. "I got to go. Paislee just walked down." Then she ended the call. I walked completely down, looking at her angrily, walking past her into the kitchen. She followed me, standing at the counter behind me, while I got a glass of water. 

   "So now what?" I questioned, frustrated. "You're not going to let me visit dad any more?" 

   My mother gave out a sigh, knowing I had listened into her conversation. She hated when I did that, but it was the only way I could figure things out, she never wants to talk about anything that has to do with my father.