Part 4

*A.N.: This is for Wednesday. Had writer's block.

***

Sometime in the past, between the moment Al'Aeen shifted for the first time and the departure to the East:

"You never told me what your problem with Alpha Jena's mate is, wolf."

"No, I haven't."

"Come to think of it, you haven't told me your name either."

"How is that relevant to your task?"

"You truly are one angry wolf. Revenge is never a good goal to have. Honor and glory in battle on the other hand..."

"You know nothing of my situation! So how about you keep quiet and hopefully soon, I'll get my revenge and you get your glory and honor?"

"So you won't care that I have new information about your target? OK then, never mind."

"Say what now? How come? Who have you been talking to? When?"

"Relax. Signis, the Master's coyote informant, sent me some news."

"How? Why don't I know about it?"

"He sent another one of his coyotes by, and I'm telling you now, aren't I?"

"Whatever! Just tell me already!"

"Well, there is also a request."

"If you're going to make me ask a hundred questions before you tell me what I want to know, the Master will know about it!"

"Fine! Still your tail! There is a warhog that has had a close encounter with what we believe was your precious Alpha's mate. And before you ask, I don't know the whole story. Would you agree in having another warhog added to this party?"

"I thought the Master barely allowed me to have you lot as help?"

"This is an exception, and there is a condition attached to it."

"Of course. Why wouldn't there be? Fine, what is it?"

"When you have a position of power over the mate, the Master talks to him first. At that point, you may or may not be allowed to harm him."

"Whaaat? I want him dead! Like Jena killed my mate!"

"If the mate joins the Master, he will help you kill Jena. The Master said you should enjoy that thought."

"Hmm, that would actually be delightful! And if he doesn't join?"

"Do whatever you want."

"Fine. I accept."

"Good. Hey Earless! You're in luck. The wolf said yes."

"Hello."

"Earless here is driven by revenge, just like you. And he is also a Raised, as you may have noticed. Or was. Now he is just Earless."

"So what's your story?" the wolf asks.

"Me and my small team had captured a female wolf and a child. The thing appeared and fought 5 of us like we were almost nothing. We barely injured it. My four team members die. I had to escape with the information. I lost an ear and my privileges for the failure to defeat it. Our coyote spies tell us the monster is the same man you described as the Eastern Alpha's mate."

"And you are sure of this?"

"On my life, I swear it."

"Why were you defeated? 5 warhogs should be a tough challenge for most Alphas. How could one individual defeat you?"

"Because the thing he came as, the animal he apparently shifts into, was like nothing we had seen before. He surprised us."

"So what makes you think you could defeat him next time?"

"Because I know how he fights now. And I can teach everyone here how to take him down as a group. However, we'd need to be able to focus solely on him."

"And you can't teach that to me? So I can do it alone?"

"Can you defeat a warhog by yourself?"

"Yes."

"How about two? I'd say maybe. Against three you would definitely lose. That thing defeated 5. I can train everyone here, but as I understood from Signis, that monster has also been training."

"So what is it you want from me?"

"The Master said you are in charge, and that I should help you. I wish for a chance to take that monster down, as payback for my team, and prove myself worthy of the Promised Lands."

"So do you have a plan?"

"Besides training everyone, no. The Master said YOU are in charge."

"Fine. I'll think of something, somehow. Raised, gather everyone. We head East, there is a certain witch I need a word with."