Part 34

Moons, I just want to wring his ugly neck till his tongue hangs out!

"Easy there, girl! Ignore it and say something smart instead. Best slap you could give him," Lana comforts her.

"Then we should run..."

"Of course she'd say that!" Sorin bellows raising both his hands up.

"...while we fight," Jena finishes, almost clenching her teeth.

"Explain please," Aaron asks.

"We break camp and start moving away,"

"You mean running away,"

"While a group of our best warriors circle around and hit them in the back, in their supply carts and their escorts. A hungry army should be harder to move," Jena says, ignoring Sorin again.

"How exactly would we do this?" Sorin asks, finally interested in what the female Alpha has to say.

"I take it you agree?"

"I'm inclined to, yes. Assuming your plan has an actual success chance."

"Aaron?"

"I'm in."

"Aaron, you will be in charge of our running away. Find the best routes we could take considering we are moving the refugees as well."

"Understood."

"Alpha Sorin, I assume you'd like a shot at the warhogs?"

"Damn right I do!"

"Then you'll be in charge of the hit and run group."

"Good, I want 50 of your best warriors. Each! I'll put forth 100 of mine and 400 irregulars."

"That is one-quarter of our fighting forces. Isn't it too much?" Aaron asks.

"I assume Jena will protect the back of the column, my pack members included. And I need proper troops to convince the enemy it is a real attack," Sorin argues.

"The larger your force, the harder it is to keep it mobile. And you need to remember how vast the difference is between warriors and irregulars."

"The irregulars will want to contribute. Of that I'm sure," Jena says and Sorin grins of the approval.

"But I'm sure Alpha Sorin can convince them of how important it is to protect the refugees. How their people are their first responsibility and how they are entrusted with that honor and duty. Right, Alpha Sorin?" Conall asks.

"Fine! I want Jena's mate and his team there then. They have experience and their knowledge will be useful."

"I don't think that is possible. My mate has been unconscious for the last week, after an encounter with a warhog group."

"I see. The rest of the team then."

"Fine. I will also have a 100 strong response team moving along the entire column in case you need help," Jena says.

"You could still use the 400 irregulars in the first attack. Use the warriors to take out the guards, and prevent reinforcements from coming back from their main army, while the irregulars destroy the carts and provide confusion and a large number of tracks in and around their supply caravan," Conall suggests.

"Because they are more likely to ask for help if they see six hundred wolves attack them. The warhogs are arrogant enough to think they could handle 200 wolves with only 50 of them," Umani adds.

"Even more, have the warriors go ahead and taunt the caravan guards, and keep the irregulars hidden."

"The supply caravan will stop, the warhogs thinking a nice fight is about to ensue, especially if they only see 100 wolf warriors at first."

"Do a few mock hit and runs. And they will think they have it under control, but each time, they will lag further behind the main army."

"Then suddenly, one hit and run turns into a committed battle, and then you send in the other 100 warriors and 400 irregulars. Have the warriors hold the warhogs' attention and the irregulars do the damage with minimum risk. Attack and move away. Bleed them to death."

"Between you two, that sounds like a plan well thought in advance," Aaron remarks.

"I guess it could work," Sorin agrees.

"Of course it will. This plan was conceived by Al'Aeen and his team, based on their previous experiences with the warhogs. It is a scaled-up version of their attacks on the supply transports. Obviously, the army you will be using won't have the same kind of coordinated, cohesive movements, Alpha Sorin, but we can hope for the best and adapt if needed."

"Indeed. I will go prepare my warriors. Have yours sent to my camp on the northern side. My beta will stay behind and will be informed you are in charge of the refugees, and the remaining irregulars and he should listen to you," Sorin says and takes his leave.

"That was interesting, seeing Sorin agree to something with so few objections," Aaron says with a raised eyebrow.

"He is motivated by revenge. And the plan is sound," Umani adds.

"Aaron, besides escape routes, I want you to find engagement areas. Places where we could fight the warhogs and have an advantage over them. Things like that," Jena requests.

"Chokepoints, ambush areas, things like that?"

"Exactly. Make a map of all of them and let's hope we don't need them."

"I guess we're done here. I'll be off then," Aaron says and with a short nod towards the wolves and the coyote, heads to his own camp.