Part 122(6)

***

Many come out to see what is happening with more than half of them wondering what the meaning behind the word true in the Beta's message really is.

As Alain keeps following Alastair, once in the settlement, their impromptu guards disperse. Someone comes to drop a blanket over his shoulders.

"Give it to her, I don't need it," he tries to argue, but a second blanket is presented quickly after.

As they walk, most likely towards the Healer's house or clinic or whatever they call it in this world, he catches parts of the reactions of those coming to see what the fuss is about.

"Not sure why we're getting such an audience," he whispers to her.

"Alastair informed everyone I found my true mate."

"I'll have to make sure to repay his kind gesture later."

"You still don't enjoy being the center of attention."

"Never did."

"Somehow it settles my mind. I'm still not convinced you are who you say you are."

"I've never been surer of who you are to me, Jena. You don't feel the same?"

"All the signs are there and my body definitely recognizes you, but my mind. You look similar, but not quite. It should feel like I'm betraying my mate bond to Al'Aeen, but it doesn't."

"I hope things will get clear once I get a chance to explain."

There is quite a crowd now, parting and coming together again as they pass, their whisper and comments louder than before. Bolder.

"That's not Al'Aeen!"

"..."

"That isn't the Alpha Jena's mate! What's going on?"

"..."

"Where did the hero of Canyon Valley go anyway?"

"..."

"Did Alpha Jena reject her mate?"

"Maybe he did!"

"But they looked so good together!"

"..."

"He was the strongest person I ever knew!"

"..."

"Who is this intruder anyway?"

"..."

"Did you notice his wounds?"

"Yeah, they're still bleeding."

"You think she attacked him at first?"

"..."

"I heard he outran all the patrols and was almost in the settlement before the Alpha stopped him."

"That can't be right! Cats run faster than wolves!"

"Maybe he's a cat too?"

"With the Alpha being a wolf? Almost no chance of that happening."

"You reckon he's a wolf?"

"Maybe. Then again, Al'Aeen was a..."

"Bear I think he called himself."

"Maybe this one is special too"

"Don't be stupid! My friend was in one of the patrols and he definitely shifted into a wolf."

"..."

"He looks small."

"Only if you compare him to the hero of Canyon Valley. He's still taller than your mate."

"Height isn't everything you know!"

"But size is! Can you imagine Al'Aeen, how big he must have been in his pan..."

"Shut up!"

"You think the Alpha would have managed to accommodate his..."

"I don't know you anymore! Don't talk to me!"

"Meh! Spoilsport!"

"..."

They finally reach the Healers clinic and Hannah comes out, pacing quickly to their side.

"Is she hurt? Where?"

"No, Hannah. Just him."

"Then why is he carrying you?! The bleeding could have been less without the effort!"

"I just found my mate, there is no way I'm letting her go!" Alain says confidently, grinning as he replies the Healer although his eyes never leave Jena's face.

Hannah raises an eyebrow.

"I thought the big guy was your mate?"

"He was an idiot to leave her side, obviously," Alain answers the doctor, knowing full well he is actually referring to himself.