Part 61

"It's fine. I understand. Your body was probably trying to hold on to the thing that was helping it recover faster."

And that was me! Your mate, Jena! If only you could remember that! And I wonder if you really can't move or you just don't want to though. You were pretty voluntary earlier, she finishes her private thought with a very satisfied grin, happy Al'Aeen can't see her face.

"So umm... here you go. I'm sorry if I was too heavy!" he says mumbling the words out loud for the first time since waking up.

"It's fine. But just removing your leg is not enough."

"Huh?"

"Your hand?"

"My hand?"

"Yes. You left hand, the one right under my breasts holding me to your chest. You need to remove it if you want me to get free."

Unless you don't, which is fine too if you say so.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"It's fine. You were injured. I understand. And you did just save my life so it's the least I could do to help you recover."

"Umm, yes. Thank you!"

He finally removes the hand and both of them miss the contact as she gets to her feet.

Picking up her improvised leather jacket, she turns to face him while getting dressed.

Wow, she looks so fit and firm and... Al'Aeen suddenly feels the need to survey the sky for any birds possibly flying around.

The lingering look isn't missed by the Alpha though and she smiles some more inwardly.

"You're welcome, Jena!"

"Lana! You're awake?"

"Just for a bit. Wanted to make sure you two haven't killed each other yet. I have to admit I haven't felt you this content in ages."

"Yeah, but it could have gone terribly wrong!"

"Don't you mean terribly right? Anyway, look at him. It's like he's a teen with no idea how to handle himself. Though I'm sure you could handle him just fine if you wanted to."

"LANA!"

"Yeah, so I'm still tired. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

"No, wait!"

But the wolf no longer answers, and Jena knows her animal side needs the rest.

"So, can I help you get up? It would really help if I didn't have to drag you."

"I'm sorry you had to in the first place. And I would love to say 'no thanks, I can handle it' but I'd rather you help me up than try to catch me as I fall over. You wouldn't want me on top of you again, trapping you underneath, would you?"

"Who says I wouldn't?"

"What's that?"

"Nothing," she says, this time louder than the previous whisper.

And I didn't feel trapped, you idiot! I felt safe! Safer than I've felt in a very long time.

How on Calla can you do things that feel so right when you're barely conscious, but the moment you come to, you behave like a scared, frigid little boy?

Can someone tell me? Anyone? Please?

Getting up slowly and trying to lean as little as possible on Jena, Al'Aeen finally gets up, smiling widely.

"OK, that was easy. Let's go," he says letting go and taking a couple of bouncing steps away from Jena, before starting to run.

"Al'Aeen!" she screams after him, running over because not even fifteen feet into the run he's managed to topple over.

"Maybe you should start with walking?"

"A brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of it?" he asks rhetorically, giving her one of the first genuine smiles in a long time.

She helps him up again but doesn't let go.

"Maybe I should hold your hand?"

"That would be awkward. A giant of a man leaning on his umm... Alpha for something as trivial as walking."

Why? What kind of stupid thinking is that? Is your ego that large that you can't accept help when you need it?

"Maybe he's trying to appear strong in front of you."

"Lana? I thought you were resting?!"

"I am. Selectively. Your emotions are all over the place so it's hard to relax."

"We're going that way," Jena says, pointing him in the right direction.

"Right. Umm, where are you going?"

"To get the stretcher, in case you get tired again."

"I don't think that's necessary."

"You've got some sand in your hair."

"Right. Shutting up now," he says, shaking the grains out of the hair as much as he can.

They both start moving, eventually settling into something akin to a light jog, with Jena discarding the stretcher at some point.

The night reaches them sooner rather than later and it is obvious Al'Aeen is barely holding his upwards position, while the light run has slowed to a crawl.

"I think we should stop for the night."

"Oh, thank God!"

OK, now I just have to convince him that we should sleep close to each other for his own good.

*A.N.: So guys? How am I doing in their interaction? You likey?