Part 105

"One: you weren't specific for how long. I assumed only while we where maneuvering in wolf form and two: you can't order me around, since you refused to take command of the battle. Remember how you said you only made the plan but didn't want to command? And to think even Sorin agreed to you leading!"

"I'm starting to think you're putting yourself at risk on purpose just so I can come to your rescue!"

"What if I am? And you were late anyway! Luckily, Alastair was by my side!"

A slight pallor washes over Al'Aeen's face and he winces.

"God! You're so infuriating!"

With a slight pang of guilt pulling at her heart, Jena decides to change the subject.

"Anyway, we aren't pushing them as we should. How do intend to solve this?"

"Why should I find a solution?"

"Because it's your plan. So take responsibility for once!"

"Hey, I'm here, aren't I? But I actually have an idea. The irregulars in D-force should be arriving in position, so you need to tell everyone to..."

"No. You'll have to do it."

"But you're the Alpha. I can't..."

"No choice. You'll have to take charge. I'm hurt."

"You're conscious though. You can surely issue orders..."

"No. Hannah, tell him!"

"What? Me? Um... yeah, Alpha Jena can't use her mind link anymore."

"Excuse me?"

"As you well know, our wolves allow us to mind link, and considering our current situation, Lana is using all her energy to heal Jena. So no mind link."

"Are you fcuking kidding me?"

"Of course not. This is no time for jokes."

"It's all right, Al'Aeen. Everybody already knows this is your plan. And I've given instructions that you are to be obeyed as if it was me giving the orders."

"Doesn't look like I have any choice, does it?"

"Apparently not."

'This is Al'Aeen. I've assumed command over A1 and D-Force. Can everyone hear me?'

The acknowledgments come in quick and efficient.

'Listen up! This is what we are going to do!'

As he moves towards the front line, Hannah throws Jena a glare, only to be met with a smile.

'That wasn't a nice position to put me in, you know?'

'Yeah, sorry about that, Hannah. But Lana says it was necessary to push him into it,'

'I can't believe Alastair allowed you to get hurt!'

'He didn't. I literally had to run away from him and expose myself for it to happen. He was so damn efficient I had to do it four times before it worked once!'

'Oh, the poor guy! He doesn't know, does he?' Hannah says in the mind link, studying Alastair from the corner of her eye.

'Yeah, I'll need to apologize to him later, as well.'

'But why would you risk yourself and everyone else by getting hurt. You know how a blow to the leadership could affect this entire battle!'

'I knew what I was doing. For the most part.

Aaron confirmed B-Force was doing better than expected.

Our casualties, while still unfortunate are a lot smaller in number than expected.

And the small force of warhogs that we, the cats and Umani's coyotes splintered with our push lost one-quarter of their numbers before they even reached the rock wall.

We needed Al'Aeen here, where the most uncertain and unpredictable situation was. And I think he needed to be here as well, making sure there wasn't anything he overlooked and he could react quickly if anything happened. Which kind of did seeing how we couldn't bully the large warhog group into moving back like we did the others.'

'And when he finds out what you did?'

'Maybe he won't! And if he does... I don't know. We'll just have to see when we get there.'

*A.N.: I may not say it every time, but comments and votes are highly appreciated, so tap the star if you liked it.

Also, ask questions if you have them or post your opinions in the comment section. Who knows? Your input might spark an entire update!