Part 96

"They drank the radiated water. But not just drank it because they had no other choice like the wolves. They meditated and embraced the changes, embraced their new bodies as they brought themselves closer to Calla, the new, transformed Calla.

Some might say Calla is sick, but we coyotes believe Calla simply changed, as change is one of the universal constants and we chose to change along with her as soon as those first few brave souls confirmed their connection to our world was restored in the process."

"Wow, that was an incredible story!"

"Yeah," Vi agrees with Al'Aeen.

"Not story. History. We don't usually share it with others, not because we are secretive, but because nobody usually asks. You did not either, but it seemed to me the knowledge would be useful to you."

"I know!" Vi exclaims.

"Huh?"

"What do you know?"

The two men ask.

"From what Al'Aeen told me and why I deduced myself... Umani do you know why he chose me instead of his mate, Alpha Jena as his first war-form student?"

"Besides his generalized reluctance to interact with his mate too much?"

"Umm, guys? I'm here, you know? I can hear you!"

"Yeah, besides that."

"As you yourself pointed during your first speech, he wanted you as an example, so that anyone can believe they can do it."

"But he did not anticipate the radiated water drinkers with their low opinion of themselves because of their status. A low opinion that coyotes, though they do drink the same kind of water do not have because..."

"Coyotes have embraced their situation!" Al'Aeen finishes for Vi.

"Exactly! I've never known Umani to have a bad opinion of himself and I assume other coyotes are the same."

"Correct! We believe Calla provides everything needed for a harmonious life."

"So that means that everyone who believed they weren't as good as Vi because they drank contaminated water as a habit, also didn't believe they could do what she did and shift into a war-form."

"Except the coyotes who do not see that as a problem!"

"Have you noticed how most coyotes seemed to take the war-form faster than most wolves or cats? With the expected exceptions, of course."

"Because if Calla allowed such a thing as a war-form to exist, then it was meant to be, it is part of living in this world and we embrace everything about Calla," Umani says, explaining the coyotes' easy acceptance of the war-form.

"Even though the coyote war-form is lighter and apparently weaker than that of the wolves or the cats?"

"Coyotes are facilitators of peace, not enforcers of it or warriors like the other were races. But we do believe the war-form will allow us to keep our position in the changes to come, and we are happy with it. Now we just have to explore the war-form's potential in regards to our uniqueness, but that would probably have to wait until after the war, or at least until after the next battle. As we stand now, we will be able to participate in the battle, even if we are mere distractions for the other weres' attacks. We have increased our chances of survival exponentially and us coyotes will not hesitate to exploit an exposed neck or any other weaknesses we shall encounter."

"Umani, I believe that speech should be repeated when everyone is listening. It would do great for morale!" Vi says excitedly.

"The Alphas are better suited for speeches. But the balance of power has changed due to the actions you two have undertaken. Our luck has changed. You two may as well have saved all of us!"

"And the old man says he's not good at giving speeches!" Al'Aeen says.

"Just like you have trouble taking credit for your contribution," Vi counters.

"Hey, I just trained one girl. You did everything else!"

"Thanks for proving my point, Al!"

"God, your infuriating!"

"Thanks! My mate seems to love it though. Now we just need a plan to use our new abilities and kill some warhogs without losing too many of our forces."

"I think I have an idea about that, actually," Al'Aeen says pensively and the other two just smile at each other, but keep quiet.

*A.N.: 7x'Give next' comments for the next one and remember to vote!