Part 70

"I think they're gaining on us."

"I think we need to go flat out. I'm betting they are too."

"Damn it! This is so not how I pictured my day going!"

"Longing for her arms already?"

"What's with you an all the innuendos? We may be mates, but we are not together so stop it!"

"Is that why I can smell her all over you?"

"That's... that's a different story. I've got a perfectly good explanation for it because I was hurt and..."

"There's the narrowing!"

"And our people waiting. We stand and fight?"

"I'm sure word is out already and the convoy is moving. Let's buy them time!"

"Alpha Aaron! What is happening?" a wolf asks.

"You mean other than warhogs on our asses? Nothing much."

"How many?"

"I'd say about fifty," Al'Aeen answers.

"Fifty?!? But that's... there is only twenty of us here. We can't..."

"We can and we will," Aaron encourages.

"This narrow passage won't allow more than four warhogs to walk through it shoulder to shoulder. I can block it all in my bear form and with Alpha Aaron to cover my blind spots, we can hold them for a good amount of time."

"We'll help too!" the wolves behind the first one say, eager to do their part.

"I'm sure I can miss a few as they sneak behind me, and let you guys have fun with them, assuming Alpha Aaron isn't too blood hungry," Al'Aeen says.

"The question is, will that be needed?" Aaron asks.

"What do you mean?"

"They've all stopped. Either they're that scared of your bear form, or they're up to something."

"Scared of little ol' me?"

"Little and you in the same sentence. That doesn't even work in your human form! And you are a bear now!"

"Everyone, look out! Move back, move back!" One of the wolves at the back warns and everyone jumps back, trusting their comrade.

As he runs back, barely avoiding a large boulder that easily compares in size with his own form, Al'Aeen receives a lovely hit to the head, on the count of a basketball-sized rock which he suspects was actually aimed at him. Though he stumbles, he keeps on going until all of them are safe from the reach of the boulders and rocks falling down into the narrow passage.

"Are you hurt?"

"I'll live. Going to have a bump on my head though."

"But the rock that hit you won't. It split in two!" Aaron remarks.

"Don't I feel lucky!?" Al'Aeen complains, rubbing his head with one paw.

"Seems that was premeditated and prepared for. I think they gathered anything they could for miles. We aren't going out that way anytime soon. Not that we could even try to dig our way through, knowing that they could just throw another round of rocks down on us and not everyone has your thick skull."

"We should inform the others of this."

"Lead the way! The rest of you keep a safe distance but watch that newly formed wall!"

"Yes, Alpha!"

A few minutes later, they reach the convoy, with Aaron telling everyone to stand down. The reality of the fact that a convoy of refugees is not easy to start moving hitting hard, preparations for departing having barely been started.

Reaching the command tent once more, they shift and simply burst in, the other two Alphas already waiting for them, one of them studying the walls with a faked interest while the other has her eyes glued to Al'Aeen's naked form.

"Alpha Jena, Alpha Sorin, we have a problem! There is now only one way of getting out of this canyon. And we all know what that means," Aaron says.

"Yeah. Stay here and slowly starve, or go out and die quickly, cause you can bet your ass they will be waiting for us," Sorin replies

"Judging from our initial large fight, we are evenly matched. Our fighting force will and the warhogs will annihilate each other. Then the refugees can move out safely," says Aaron.

"And you think they'll mind? What's to keep that Master from simply sending another army to take care of the rest of them, and then our homes and loved ones? I never thought I'd say this, but maybe we should surrender."

"Maybe not. We may still have a way out of this," Jena adds pensively.

"Meaning?"

"Al'Aeen, show them your war-form."

*A.N.: Hopefully, with the start of the new year, we shall return to a normal updating schedule. And remember nothing is over till the fat lady sings :D