Part 32

***

"Alpha Sorin! Alpha Sorin!"

"You better have a damn good reason for this intrusion, wolf!"

"I do, sir. Your son, he..."

"Well? Speak up already!"

"First he said to deliver this message: 'They're coming. All of them! Run!' and then he..."

"No, don't say it!"

"I'm sorry, Alpha! His injuries were too severe. A large number of coyotes ambushed his advanced reconnaissance group. He died after he ran all the way back and met with my patrol unit."

A shuddering pain hits the Alpha's heart as if chipping off a significant part of it. Sorin howls, letting the pack know of the loss, he and his beast cursing the Moons for his son's misfortune.

"Advanced reconnaissance group. What does this mean?"

"Sir? Such a group would go..."

"I know what the name means! Who authorized it? Who gave them the order to do it? Who planned the mission? Tell me who so I can string him up by his balls!"

Visibly trembling with fear, the wolf gulps but dares to continue answering his Alpha.

"He did, sir. Himself. Brayden and his brother were taking turns..."

"My youngest knew?"

"Apparently, sir."

"Get out!"

"Yes, Alpha!"

"And send that good for nothing Xavier back here," Sorin yells after the wolf.

Within minutes, Xavier was walking inside his father's tent.

"You asked to see me, father?"

"Advanced reconnaissance group. Explain, Xavier!"

With the blood draining from his cheeks, the Alpha's youngest dips his eyes, trying to find his words.

"You better speak up, you nitwit! Your brother is dead, and I want to know why! And you are going to tell me."

"Yes, father. Brayden had a feeling. Like an itch or intuition that something wasn't right. He came to tell you but..."

"That's nonsense. We have patrols, we don't rely on itches. We learn facts and act accordingly!"

"That's why he asked for the diplomatic escort. He wanted some fighters with him in case..."

"What? He said he was going to visit our allied small packs to ask for more warriors for the war effort..."

"Which he did, at first. But he also went the long way around on his way back."

"Meaning?"

"He went by the warhog camp and sneaked close to it."

"And his guards just let him?"

"Well they tried to stop him, but he said he was just going to take a dump, so unless they wanted to hold his hand, they could just fcuk off."

Sorin smiles at the thought, before remembering his firstborn is dead, the smile turning into a scowl.

"You seem to know an awful lot about it. How come?"

"Because when he returned to our camp he took me to the side and told me what he saw."

"That being what exactly?"

"The warhogs were agitated. More than just training."

"So what?"

"That's exactly what Brayden told me you would say. That's why he said we needed proof to present to you. So we made this group, along with our closest guards, and we took turns.

Twice a day we would go and sneak near their camp.

This morning when he came back, Brayden was nervous. He said the agitation increased. That he saw a lot of empty carts entering the warhog camp.

A patrol was coming so he had to run away.

He told me about it when he came back and I was ready to do my part and check for any changes, but my brother said something was off, that he would go again and see what is happening, to which I argued since I knew he was tired from the first run but he... he knocked me out and went anyway," Xavier says, tears streaking his eyes.

"Are you done?"

The Alpha's fists are clenched white.

"Yes, father."

"Don't father me! I've lost my heir today, my pack in danger if I were to die. From this day forth you will only address me as Alpha, as I had lost both my sons today. One died valiantly for the good of his pack, while the other was lying unconsciously on the floor of his tent, safe from any harm. As far as I'm concerned, my youngest never woke from his lazy slumber. Maybe someday he will actually rise up and do something for this pack, without his brother's shadow to hide in anymore. Guard!"

"Yes, Alpha?" A burly man walks in, waiting for his orders.

"Take this unranked wolf out of my tent and accommodate him with the refugees. He is now one of them. And send the messenger wolf from earlier back, I want a few more words."

"Sir, he went to clean up and eat."

"Do I look like I care? He can do that later!"

The guard takes Xavier by one arm, escorting him out and away from the Alpha's tent.