Part 68

"First of all, I have only one Alpha," the big man answers, coming closer to Sorin. "And secondly, just name the place and the time! I'm pretty sure some bear claws across your face would bring a great improvement to your ugly mug. Your mate might actually start to like you."

"How dare you?!" Sorin bumps chests with Al'Aeen, forced to look straight up because of their height difference.

"Bust a move, bitch!" the big man dares the Alpha.

"Or maybe I should be the one going with Al'Aeen. As in right now." Aaron says, heading out after crossing exactly in-between the two men, forcing them to part to let him pass.

"That would be for the best. Go after him, please!" Jena adds.

"BOO!" the werebear mocks him one more time, making the wolf step back and into a defensive posture but Al'Aeen nods at Jena and goes after Aaron.

"Yeah! That's right! Better listen to your woman telling you what to do, you freak!"

But Al'Aeen is already gone by the time he finishes.

"You're lucky we are at war, Sorin. Because I'm pretty sure my mate and I would be fighting each other over who gets to trump your ass all over the floor," Jena tells him, holding his gaze.

"So you want a piece of me, too?"

"Definitely. If only the situation was different!" she says dreamily.

"I'd be happy to show you how a real man fights, girlie!"

"Yes. Hold that thought until we have no more warhogs threatening the lives of our packs. I'm sure we can work something out. Now if you'll excuse me, I have things to do."

Alastair holds the entrance flap for Jena, then follows her out, leaving Sorin alone in the command tent.

"By the Moons, I hate those two!"

***

"I never thought I would meet someone who hated Sorin more than I do. Nor did I ever think I'd see him so riled up, enough that he would actually show fear," Aaron says as Al'Aeen catches up with him.

"How you got all that, I have no idea."

"Experience. Alpha senses. Knowing Sorin. Deductive reasoning. Or was that meant to tell me I'm wrong."

"I can't say what he is feeling. And normally I would, but in this strange world, I could just twist his scrawny little neck and I'm pretty sure I have more than enough justification to get away with it."

"But let me guess: you don't want to lead a pack."

"Fcuk no! Can you imagine that kind of responsibility on my shoulders?"

"Actually, I can. There is power with that responsibility, you know?"

"One is only deserving of the power after fulfilling the required responsibilities. And subsequently, power should only be used to accomplish those same responsibilities. It's too much of a bother. Or at least that is what I like to say and shrug my shoulders, but I realize I don't have the proper mindset, nor the confidence for it. Not right now and maybe not ever."

"That's more than most would be willing to admit."

"I'll trust your experience to know this was said in confession."

"I'll keep it to myself, rest assured. But you should give yourself more credit than that, you know!"

"With the war and everything else that is going on, I don't even know how much longer I'll be around."

"I'm sure the Moons have plans for you. Dying doesn't seem to be on those plans anytime soon."

"You missed my point, but thanks for the encouragement."

"No problem," Aaron says, raising an inquisitive eyebrow but if the big man notices, he doesn't show it.