Part 119(3)

***

"There is nowhere to run. We have you surrounded. Could you shift so we can talk?" Bran says, taking charge of his group of 10 wolves reach the area where the stranger stopped.

"I would have come to you if you just waited in your compound for me."

"Compound?"

"Settlement then."

"We can't allow that for obvious reasons. I'm sure you realize you are trespassing," the large wolf continues and notices the confirmation in the stranger's nod.

"I have a meeting with destiny."

"You'll have to be a bit more specific than that."

"Yeah. I always wanted to say that. Seems fitting, doesn't it?"

"You are not making sense, which is making everyone around you nervous. Why are you here?"

"I want to see Alpha Jena."

"I don't suppose to have an appointment."

"Our proper meeting should have taken place months ago. I guess I'm mostly to blame for that."

"So why not stop for the patrols and be civilized about it?"

"Your patrols were too slow. I'm in a bit of a hurry, you see?"

"And yet you are currently not going anywhere. What is slower than standing still?"

"Speed is relative to your system of reference. If I was to consider the cats prowling ever closer behind me as stationery, you could say I'm moving towards them."

"Back off guys! You heard the Alpha! She is on her way!" Bran orders them.

Four of the six cats from the first two patrols stop advancing.

"It appears I'm still moving towards my primary target. Pretty fast for someone standing still, right?"

The word target triggers the two cats, the first one lounging for Alain's head. He drops back to wolf form, facing the second even before the flyer lands.

A warning snarl makes the second cat hesitate for a moment, before shifting to a cat war-form, swiping its claws a few times as if taunting the wolf.

Alain turns from wolf to his own war-form, engaging the cat in a strange form of hand to hand, since he seems to dodge, block and only counter-punch back at the cat's joints, elbows and pretty much anything else within reach, sometimes giving two corrections for each failed attempt from the cat.

'Behind you! Duck!'Edrik warns and Alain instinctively listens, dropping down and forward, the slash cutting marks through the skin on the back of his head without piercing the skull and clearly missing the initial target, his neck.

He adds a tumble to his move before turning around and jumping back, tackling the offending war-form, claws now extended for better purchase in the subsequent struggle.

With the cat's claw caught between his ribs and his knee, and Alain's right claw firmly against the offender's neck promising death in quick succession, they both consider the next best move.

"STOP! What's the meaning of this?" Jena demands forcefully, the entire strength of an Alpha behind her question making everyone flinch away with more than half showing immediate signs of submission.

'God, I missed her voice!'

'I realize a week has passed on Calla, Alain, but to us, it's been only one day.'

'Yeah, but I was convinced I'd never see her again!'

"Cats disobedient," the new wolf in war-form gurgles the words.