Part 42

*A.N.: In advance posting for tomorrow! Vote it if you like it!

Shifting back to their human forms, the two wolves and one cat acknowledge and salute her, with one of them speaking:

"Alpha Jena! Is there something you need or we can help with?"

"When is your group leaving again?"

"We aren't, Alpha. We are getting replaced as it is the end of our patrol. Here they come," the wolf says pointing in the direction of 2 incoming people.

"I'm Meiarr and this is Perhe from Mountain River pack. We are taking over the orbital patrol of the back of the convoy."

"And your third?"

"Is running late I guess."

"Good. I'll be your third."

"Alpha? I'm sure you have better things to do than a measly patrol."

"Don't be so sure of my schedule. In case you missed it, I was telling you, not asking."

"I understand, Alpha Jena. Shall we?"

"Lead the way for the first couple of times."

"As you wish."

The three of them shift, with Meiarr taking the lead, Jena after her and Perhe bringing up the rear.

They run in silence for a while, when suddenly Meiarr can't keep quiet anymore.

"No offense Alpha, we are honored that you grace us with your presence, but you kind of replaced the only person I could actually have a chat with on the patrol."

"You are only that formal to tell me my presence annoys you, I assume."

"No, of course not but... well, can I be frank?"

"Go ahead."

"Perhe there is kind of a mute and no fun at all."

"If there is nothing to say, there is no reason to talk," the male answers.

"That actually sounds like common sense, Meiarr. You could try some."

"Sorry, but I don't want to become a grouch like the two of you. See, until you joined, Perhe was the team grouch, but at least I could talk to the other guy. Now he was fun!"

"We are talking, aren't we?"

"With all the clouds over your head? And not in a good way either. Actually, I don't get why you'd bother with a patrol really. Can't you go be moody somewhere else?"

"You realize who you are talking to, right?"

"My friends mate?"

"I wonder... but no, I meant your Alpha. That can kick your ass and have you punished for that kind of talk."

"Not if you are as fair as you claim to be. You already said I can speak freely."

"Well, I'm starting to regret it. Maybe I should take that back."

"I won't give it back. Who would I talk to then?"

"Are you serious?"

"Hey, it's not my fault you took Mickail's spot in the patrol and it's not my fault you can't get along with your mate!"

"What the fcuk, bitch! What's your problem?"

"Obviously you at the moment, with your moody-ass attitude, coming down here to rain on our parade. I mean patrol."

"You're the one that wanted to talk in the first place!"

"What can I say? The doom and gloom atmosphere was choking me. It's obvious you haven't dealt with rejection enough to know how to deal with it."

"Right, and you have? Did your mate reject you or something?"

"Haven't met mine yet, but I've had plenty of rejections."

"Then you really have no idea what you're talking about so get the hell off your mighty-high horse!"

"Maybe I don't, but maybe I do. So on a scale of one to ten, how inadequate do you feel as a woman? Or as a potential mate?"

"Like I'd answer something as stupid as that!"