Part 97

***

"Why has a strategic meeting between the leadership of the Tri-Pack alliance turned into a Jena and friends party?"

"Feel free to bring your mate or anyone with a crucial contribution to the war effort into this meeting, Alpha Sorin!" Jena answers him.

"I would have brought my mate, but she's still at the pack settlement in the mountains with the non-combatants," Aaron adds.

"Who asked you?"

"Sorin, buddy! You may be an Alpha, but don't forget there is literally no difference between us in position and strength. Or would you like to test how well we have both mastered the use of our war-forms?" Aaron pokes back.

"That would be stupid! Getting hurt when there is a war to fight."

"That was actually wise, impostor! What did you do with Sorin?"

"Ha-ha! So funny... not!"

"If you children are done quarreling, maybe we could get to it?" Conall asks.

"Why is he here?"

"You mean the Master at Arms, the most experienced warrior we have, with years of training and commanding behind him?"

"OK, fine, then the girl has no business being here."

"The one you appointed War-Form Master, with a status equivalent to a Diplomat or an Elder outside of training."

"And I suppose Al'Aeen is here because he 'simply' is your mate, right?"

"No, Alpha Sorin. I'm here looking for my next chance to grovel at your feet, begging you to keep your Alpha role to yourself and away from me."

Sorin, bites down on his reply, trying his best to keep his cool. Only his eyes throw daggers at the big man, the humiliation from the previous week still fresh in his mind.

"And the desert scavenger?" he asks with a raised brow.

"Oh, I can just leave if you don't want to know the enemy's troop strength," Umani says turning to leave.

"Stop fcuking around, Umani," Conall chastises him.

"Well, my scouts tell me the warhogs, given are repeated encounters with them, and the number of successful versus failed supply runs they've had in the past months, number approximately 600, give or take a few dozens."

"We have, between the Tri-Pack wolves and their allies, 750 warriors, all able to shift to the war-form and I think Sorin said 1400 irregulars," Aaron says.

"Yes, that's right. None of the useless bastards are able to take the war-form though. Maybe your training ain't really that good, War-Form Master," Sorin jabs at Vi and Conall is about to jump at his throat but the painful squeeze of his arm by his mate stops him.

"I have determined the reason the irregulars failed to achieve war-form although the warriors have had a 100% success rate. Time would allow the irregulars to overcome the obstacle, but I realize time is not a resource we have at the moment," Vi answers him with all seriousness.

"Right. Numbers talk, girl. 750 can shift, 1400 can't. You suck at training and maybe we were hasty in giving you such a prestigious position since..."

"Fear not, Alpha Sorin. I will impart to you the reason why YOUR irregulars failed the training in the allotted time."

"Oh? Do enlighten me, please!"

"Of course! They consume radiated water. Because of that, you treat them poorly, as if they are second-class pack members. That, in turn, results in low self-esteem and confidence."

"So it's the water then. Figures. Damn useless scavengers!. Why do I even bother keeping them around?"

"Actually, it's their leadership that is the problem. You don't treat them properly, so they have low self-confidence. But I already said that."

"And I say you're a dumb female! It's the water. End of discussion!"

Conall snarls at Sorin, who takes a barely perceptible step away, but holds everyone's gaze defiantly.

*A.N.: Still one more available at this moment. 7 'Give next' comments to get it.

And don't forget the little stars, guys! Voting helps the story get known!