Part 82

***

The large gathering has formed a circle. They know a fight is about to ensue. But they are not sure why, and who the combatants are.

Al'Aeen walks to the middle of it in bear form, rolling a large boulder looking about 4000 pounds heavy.

"Everyone! Gather fist-sized stones and place them in a circle, being 30 feet away from this boulder as a central point," he says after shifting to human.

A few people move but not many.

"Do as he says!" Sorin orders after climbing on top of the new center point, and this time everyone moves, recognizing him as one of the three Alphas leading them.

Happy with the help, Al'Aeen shifts back to bear and another couple of boulders are rolled inside the circle, though not as large as the first one.

"Now stand 10 feet behind the area marked with the stones, please," the big man asks again, having turned back to human once more.

With the obvious authority of Alpha Sorin behind him, everyone listens this time and moves back.

"May I?" Sorin asks Al'Aeen, noticing Both Aaron and Jena have arrived.

"Please do!"

"While I know everyone is happy to relax for the last week, I know you must also be stressed about the situation we are in.

I've heard talks of surrender and I've heard of fighting to the last free man, woman, and child. I've also heard rumors of taking a chance and individually surrendering to the warhogs.

And while it is true our forces are equal in strength to the warhog enemy, seeking to enslave or kill us all, and we have an advantage by staying in the safety of this canyon valley, our supplies will not last us forever. As such, staying in here permanently is not an option.

But even between us Alphas, there are sometimes differences of opinion and so we thought to kill two birds with one stone. Entertain you all while at the same time deciding on our next step.

That being said, a representative from the Southern Star pack and one from Multi-Unity will duke it out for your pleasure and our future, with the winning pack's Alpha getting to decide our next step, having the full support of the other two."

As he finishes, people look towards Jena and Aaron for confirmation and find them nodding in agreement.

"As you got to choose your opponent, would you mind me stating the rules?" Al'Aeen asks Sorin through a mind link.

"Hmm, very well. As long as they are fair."

"Of course!"

"As for the rules, the combatants will be fighting inside the stone circle, as I'm expecting most of you guessed. Anything goes except fatal wounds. And the fight is over when one of the fighters yields to the other or leaves the circle by any means."

"Not bad, man! I think I won't have to humiliate your girl friend into submission then. After the masses are entertained, I can force her out of the circle and she can have her dignity. See? I can be generous to people I appreciate!" Sorin mind links the big man, very content with his decision.

"You may announce the combatants."

"And you should go restrain her mate because if he intervenes, the deal is off!"

Wow, you are really afraid of him, aren't you? But the last one is a thought Al'Aeen, keeps to himself while moving to the side, searching for Conall.

"Everyone quiet now! For Multi-Unity, representing her pack, Vi, the Master at Arms mate, whom I understand has been going through some kind of intensive training for the last week. I guess we will all find out if it was a successful experience for her, won't we?"

Vi steps forward, taking a defiant stance on one side of the circle.

The crowd, mostly members from Multi-Unity pack, but others too cheer her on when they notice her age and small frame.

Some, however, wonder if it is wise to let their entire fate hang on the success of one girl. A very young one at that.

"And now, representing Southern Star, will be – he jumps down from the boulder walking in the opposite direction from Vi, and for a minute people think he will literally handpick someone to fight but he stops – ME, Sorin, Alpha of Southern Star!"

The crowd is speechless for a second before protests erupt on one side:

"No!

"That can't be right!"

"How is that fair?"

"The fight is rigged!"

"This is not even a contest!"

"This is horse shit!"

"What a joke!"

While the other cheers loudly and laughs, as the Southern Star members have their own opinions about the matchup:

"This is going to be easy!"

"And Alpha against a girl, ha, ha!"

"Show her what a real man can do, Alpha!"

"Yeah, send her back to making babies!"

"Better hold back Alpha Sorin, or the girl might cry!"

"Woohoo! It's in the bag!"

"Can I fight her next?"