Part 67

*A.N.: Sorry for the long wait, holidays and everything(I do my most of my writting at work, while waiting for automated tasks to complete). At home there is too much interference for it, taking me out of the proper mood even if I have the time. We should get back to normal in a week or so.

Anyway, thanks for reading and enjoy!

"I guess that would be me," Aaron says.

"I'm doing my best to wait for the explanation," Jena adds.

"Both you and Sorin were gone and as you know we just had multiple attacks thrown at us. With three packs and a lot of refugees to care for, and seeing how we were already heading this way, it seemed like the logical choice. It would be a lot easier to defend keeping the vulnerable ones in the middle and having only two access points, ahead and behind us. The other option was to go around, keeping us exposed and vulnerable on a much wider area."

"I see. Then it must all be for the best."

"Not really," Sorin adds.

"What do you mean? What is he talking about, Aaron?"

"Sorin noticed it first, so he may as well explain it."

"Right. So when I returned, after our unfortunate encounter with an ever-increasing number of warhogs, I asked Aaron the exact same thing you just did. And he told me what he just told you. But of course I didn't trust his judgment, so I asked to see the maps."

Aaron growls at Sorin for the jab.

"After adding the warhog attacks, which by the way, I got the casualty reports for and they weren't really attacks, more like faints, it appears the warhogs steered us into making this exact choice. Taking this canyon as a route. After our entire group decided to go in, our scouts have had limited contact with the enemy, on the furthest edge of their patrols."

"As if they were checking to make sure our convoy was heading this way and into the canyon," Jena concludes.

"Unfortunately, it would so appear. Yes," Aaron admits, sounding defeated.

"All of that is fine and everything. But why have you stopped? I heard some people talking about how happy they were to have a break."

"That is one reason. Everyone is tired. The refugees especially. Not to mention that two of the three Alphas for the Alliance were missing and morale was plummeting. There was even talk of surrendering."

"I'm sorry you two, but that may no longer be possible. It appears that the warhogs have changed the way they behave. When I was trapped, I offered them to the death dueling, something they would have jumped at in the past. They were pretty clear they had orders to do otherwise. Even sounded unhappy about it."

"So there really is no telling what would happen if we offered to surrender," Sorin concludes.

"Are you even considering that?"

"No me or mine, but the refugees have had that option on the table all the time. My advisors have informed me that some people are starting to consider bowing their heads as better than the constant running and living in fear. Now I can tell them they might just lose it even if they bend over to kiss warhog feet."

"You are one cold-hearted bastard, Sorin! You know that, right?"

"The sooner they realize that we are their only hope, and they better be loyal, the better."

A warning bugle sounds and Alastair bursts in the command tent.

"Alphas! All our patrols have returned!"

"What? Why? They were our eyes!"

"Then all our eyes have been poked. All groups reported movement, then they were attacked and pushed back into regrouping here. Minor casualties."

"They want us blind and bunched up together. This will not do. We need to see what is happening."

"True. The two patrols sent ahead of the convoy have seen no attacks or any movement of any kind."

"Then we should head that way."

"Any of you find it obvious they are herding us out of the canyon again?"

"That much is clear. We need to check the back. Maybe they don't think we'd try it."

"Go back out the way we came in? An interesting proposal. Perhaps Jena's Mate and I could go check the way we came in?"

"And have you turn tail on me and run off at the first sign of warhogs? No thanks!" Al'Aeen replies promptly.

"Are you refusing an order from your Alphas? Or just trying to make me punish you?" Sorin asks with a snarl, trying to stand tall and puffing his chest up to appear larger.