Part 41

"The alliance leaders devised a plan to attack the enemy's supply caravan with a force that seemed heavy enough to warrant a full on response.

Basically, we used a large number of our fighting force to hit them, fainting a large attack on their rear. We managed to destroy their supplies and kill the forty-seven warhogs defending with only 12 lightly injured, 5 needing prolonged recovery and 2 dead.

This and the way the attack was planned made them think we were charging at them. The entire enemy forced stopped, turned and ran back to meet us head on, but we were long gone by the time they got there.

Since the tracks were fresh, they followed for a while, while the refugees and the rest of the army kept on going.

This maneuver bought us a five days lead, which we are losing by half a day every day because we are moving with refugees, which are not all that physically fit.

Right now, we have an actual three and a half days of lead on them."

"Thanks for the update, Vi. So were you there? How did the big fight go? Anyone from our side injured?"

"I assume you mean our side as in our pack or team? Nobody from the team since we have the proper experience, but 5 of the lightly injured are from our pack."

"Sounds like there is more to it than that though."

"Apparently something is off, or so Conall thinks. You would need to discuss this with him and Umani, maybe even Jena and the other two leaders."

"Why would they talk to me?"

"Because you are Jena's mate."

"I really don't like the sound of that kind of favoritism."

"And because Conall said we should hear what you think, since your observations may be both unconventional and useful."

"OK, I will talk with the Master at Arms. But just to him."

"Assuming you have the choice."

"What's that?"

"I said I'll let him know."

***

"Jena? Jena, you need to come out of there, love! Jena? JENA!" Conall insists, and angry Jena jumping out of a moving carriage.

"Oh, fcuk off, Conall! I'm in no mood for your shitty, ancient, parental wisdom from a man with a perfect mate and a perfect life.

And no, I don't feel like sparing with you, cause not all problems are solved with a beating.

I really have been dealt the worst kind of cards for a reason that totally escapes me.

All the bad things that keep happening to me make me angry and sad and disappointed at the same time.

But mostly angry.

Angry because I feel helpless.

Angry because I don't get it. At all!

What the fcuk did I ever do to deserve this?

So yeah. I feel like shit and I'm in a crappy mood, and I'm demanding the right to feel that way, to feel the things I am feeling.

So unless there is a bunch of warhogs attacking us right now, so I can vent some of my anger with some spinal column severing, you and everyone else better stay the fcuk out of my way and let me be."

"Jena..." Conall tries to place a hand on her shoulder, only to be violently shoved away, landing him on his behind.

Seeing as he doesn't get up to challenge her further, she stomps away.

Guess I'm not what you needed right now girl.

Weaving through countless wolves, with the occasional group of cats and coyotes between them, the crowd splits to let her pass then comes back again, like water going around a rock.

Everyone is being considerate as they are not even looking her way, or perhaps they have their own problems and worries to deal with, except for the occasional child going 'look mommy, isn't that Alpha Jena?' only to be quickly hushed and nudged along.

Feeling scrutinized despite their efforts, she heads out to the edges of the group, aiming for one of the arriving patrols.