Part 24

"Now that our two uninvited guests have left the premises, it seems we can continue. And it seems I can move again. How lovely! Well mister Al'Aeen, it looks like it's just you and me now. And your daughter. And the warhogs. But they don't matter. Are you calm enough to be let go off? As you can see, I'm still holding your daughter."

"Harm her and you die!"

"Not that I doubt your resolve and conviction, but there isn't much you can do about it, is there? But like I said, it's not my intention to harm her as long as you collaborate. So can they let go?"

"Yes."

"Good. Raised, move your men away and take care of this mess," Lindator says pointing at the corpse on his right.

"Got to hand it to your little squirt, nothing phases her. A warhog was just killed by her side, a witch appeared and disappeared into thin air – well, smoke actually – and she isn't at all impressed. OUCH! What the HELL, kid?"

"DO NOT YELL AT MY DAUGHTER!"

Lindator flinches at the roaring yell, but the warhogs keep their positions around and away from Al'Aeen, seeing as he did not actually move.

"She pinched me!"

"Silly wolf," the toddler says in an even voice.

"You know this spawn of yours is really giving me the creeps."

"Watch your mouth, 'silly wolf'! Better yet, hand her over to me so she troubles you no more."

"And next you're going to want me to just let you go. No buddy, can't do that; nor can I hand her over just yet either. Raised bring the large basin, put it over the fire and fill it with water."

As the Raised orders one of his men to do it, the two people around the fire enter a staring contest. It only gets interrupted when their view of each other is occluded by the large clay basin being placed on top of the dying embers.

As they both stand in order to be able to see, Lindator moves the child on his left arm, extending his right towards the warhog leader, who pulls out a knife stepping forward, causing Al'Aeen to instantly snap at him.

"Calm down, the knife if for me. I told you I won't harm her. Not yet anyway since you are so obedient. You are obedient, aren't you?" the former Beta asks watching the big man intently.

As their guest-prisoner moves back, the Raised slashes with the tip of his knife against the soft underskin of Lindator's index finger.

Placing the bloody finger above the water, a few drops are squeezed in and though the amount is insignificant compared to how much water is in the clay basin, the water turns completely red, then dark red as its viscosity continues to increase until an oval shape starts rising from the gel thus created.

It continues to rise, its form defining itself with ears, mouth and even eyes.

The head is overly large, just like a Halloween pumpkin Al'Aeen remembers seeing at a party sometime in the past.

Once the eyes open, two white spheres stand-in for eyes, the only parts of the monstrous apparition different in color from the dark red of the rest.

"That's a nice party trick, former Beta. Will you teach it to me?" Al'Aeen says, trying to ignore the chill seeping into his bones.

"You are either very brave, very stupid or smart enough to try to hide your real feelings with a joke," the red head says.

"It can even talk! So is the rest of you in there, Red? Or just the head?"

"This is merely a communication means, but we could meet in person if you insist."

"Did it have to be this dramatic?"

"Don't tell me it isn't working..."

"It is."

"At least you are honest. Do you know who I am?"

"I have a pretty good guess. They call you the Master."

*A.N.: Counter is reset to 0. at 7 comments with 'give next' I will publish part 25.